Hey from Admiral

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.

Hey from Admiral

Postby admiraljim » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:18 pm

Hello everyone,
I have been a member for a little while but haven't posted anything! I am also a member of dharma wheel, my background is more in Tibetan Vajrayana buddhism but I am looking for books/websites which can introduce me more to the teachings of Theravadin buddhism. Personally I became interested in meditation when i was 12 years old although I was taught by the christian spiritualist church, although you may find interestingly that their methods aren't too different from Buddhist meditation. I formally became buddhist three years ago but I was a regular attender at the local shrine room all throughout my university career. I am currently hoping to ordain although I am currently researching as many buddhist traditions as possible to achieve balance I guess. Academically I studied medicine/neuroscience and pharmacology and so am quite sympathetic to the supposed benefits of practice, interestingly people who have a spiritual practice live longer and recover from illness much better than those who do not - so keep up your good work!
I recently started going to a local buddhist group where most of the members are interested in the thai forest tradition, so I am completely out my depth which can only be a good thing and I have to say I am impressed, as they did a 13 week introductory course to 'buddhism' and I was amazed at the turnout.
I am just completing athree year home study course but that was ran by a Tibetan monastery, I would interested if there were any similiar courses which people could recommend for the thervadin tradition. I am also reading 'In the Buddhas Words', I have to admit though I am finding it a bit dry and struggling with it. when at medical school my main interest was psychiatry and care of the dying and this is something I would like to continue with from a dharma perspective upon ordaining. I have dreams of working in a hospice but that all is a pipe dream - so I am just muddling through as best I can. i am looking forward to hearing from you all and your words of advice.

J :hug:
admiraljim

Re: Hey from Admiral

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:32 pm

Welcome admiraljim,

:hello:

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:59 pm

Greetings Jim,

Welcome.

admiraljim wrote:I am also reading 'In the Buddhas Words', I have to admit though I am finding it a bit dry and struggling with it.

Perhaps if you could let us know what feels dry (e.g. the sutta extracts, Bhikkhu Bodhi's analysis) and why, someone might have some alternative reading suggestions.

:reading:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:05 am

Hi and welcome to posting :)

Try Thanisaro Bhikkhus wings to awakening after Bhikkhu Bodhis book, you can download it for free from access to insight!

but ask any question on the forum about the texts I am sure you will get a diverse enough responce to make an informed decision on them!
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby bodom » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:22 am

Welcome Jim!

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:27 am

Welcome Admiral! There are plenty of knowledgeable folks around here. May you find what it is that you are looking for!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=148031379279&v=info
Kiva-Theravada Buddhists:http://www.kiva.org/team/theravada_buddhists
Dana on the Interwebs:
http://greatergood.com
http://freerice.com
Khalil Bodhi

Postby Ben » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:52 am

Hi Jim and welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:51 am

admiraljim wrote: I have been a member for a little while but haven't posted anything! I am also a member of dharma wheel, my background is more in Tibetan Vajrayana buddhism but I am looking for books/websites which can introduce me more to the teachings of Theravadin buddhism.

:hello:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

Welcome to the Dark side! :jedi:

(just a joke, I say the same thing to Theravadins who join Dharma Wheel)
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Return to Introductions