Greetings Dhamma Friends!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Ferox

Greetings Dhamma Friends!

Post by Ferox »

Hello all,

Joe D(aka Ferox) here from New Jersey,USA, glad to be here and looking forward to exploring the dhamma with you all. I'm a 33 year old lay disciple and I took the refuge and precepts near on five years ago on vesak 2008 although I'd suspect like most I've come to feel that I was a Buddhist my whole life and didn't realize it until I found Buddhism and in particular Theravada.

I work for child protective services in my state and recently started my own photography business. I don't have a real life sangha close to me( I visit NJ Buddhist Vihara in Princeton which is an hour from me, Bodhi Monastery which is about two hours, and Bhavana Society in West Virginia which is 5 hours) and I'm the only Buddhist I know in my daily life. I am a member of the virtual sangha of "The Buddha Center" on the virtual online world Second Life(as Ferox) and I do some work there.

my practice has increased and progressed over the years, I started meditating almost 10 years ago however I would say I never really put in the practice and started to "get anywhere" until the last year. I've started going to meditation retreats(3 day at Bodhi Monastery and 5 day at Bhavana Society) and through real life and virtual world contact with monastics and teachers I feel I am on the right path. for a few years now there has been a growing feeling inside of me towards entering the homeless life and as the years have gone by the pull only gets stronger, I feel at this point that it is inevitable I will enter into the homeless life and it's more a question as to when then if. That is one topic I hope to explore with all of you here, among many others.

once again, great to be here and I look forward to meeting everyone.
-just one more being treading the ancient path of Dhamma-
Ben

Re: Greetings Dhamma Friends!

Post by Ben »

Hi Joe
Thanks for the great intro and welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
I hope you find here some inspiration and wise companionship!
with metta,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hello:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:buddha2:
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

Very good to meet you! :)
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
dhamma_newb

Post by dhamma_newb »

Welcome Joe! :hello:
The watched mind brings happiness.
Dhp 36

I am larger and better than I thought. I did not know I held so much goodness.
Walt Whitman
cooran

Post by cooran »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome Joe!

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Welcome joe :hello:
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.