Alberta Canada

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.

Alberta Canada

Postby jerry » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:40 am

Greetings everyone. Since I've been counting the Dhamma Wheel as another of my buddhist resources for a few weeks now, I wanted to take you up on the invitation to introduce myself.

I'm Jerry from Alberta, Canada. 36. Married. I don't sit with or attend a temple because, unfortunately, the closest one is in Edmonton, which with my schedule is too far to be practical.

What led me to Buddhism originally was a general desire to finally make peace with myself and the world around me. It took me a long time to fully grasp the importance of meditation practice because I kept seeing the dhamma and meditation as two different things. It took me a long time to see them as the same, so I'm a bit of a late bloomer there. What I'm learning is that a lot of people come from the other direction. Often experimenting with meditation first.

Although I most identify with the Theravada tradition, I've sought insight from a hodge podge of sources, be it the buddhist geeks podcasts, various books written by the Dalai Lama, Thanissaro Bhikku, Thich Nhat Hanh. I've found that, regardless of the tradition, I can glean insight from most anyone who follows the middle way. And the insight I take, I've found, is often Theravadan in essence. Hopefully that makes sense.

I don't know if this post means I'll be actively participating or continue reading along, but many of you have already added to my practice with your posts, comments and discussions. I thank you for that.

Be well.
-Jerry
jerry

Re: Alberta Canada

Postby bodom » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:50 am

Welcome Jerry!

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Ben » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:52 am

Greetings Jerry and welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
Thank you for your excellent introduction.
I look forward to your contributions.
kind regards,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:58 am

Welcome Jerry! Thanks for the intro! :anjali:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=148031379279&v=info
Kiva-Theravada Buddhists:http://www.kiva.org/team/theravada_buddhists
Dana on the Interwebs:
http://greatergood.com
http://freerice.com
Khalil Bodhi

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:40 am

Greetings Jerry,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby cooran » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:47 am

Welcome to the List! :group:

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:00 am

:hello:

Welcome

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Return to Introductions