Greetings from east Tennessee

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Spider Monkey

Greetings from east Tennessee

Post by Spider Monkey »

My name is Dennis.I'm am newly practicing Buddhist. Tho I am terrible at it I feel as tho I have been Buddhist all my life.It was fortunate for me that I discover buddha as a child. Tho I did not know his name the teachings of baddha brought peace to a child who was in a bad place. For the wisdom I am most GRATEFUL.With out it I may have been lost to insanity. But I have discovered that tho I may have escaped my troubles as a child I am still very much dependent on the wisdom in buddha. I tried really hard for many years to practice the religion of my father. It only brought misery to my life. Finally reaching my breaking point with that religion I put it away. I thought back to the most inner peaceful time of my life to a time when i should not have been peaceful because i was in a harsh environment. I can plainly remember opening a red hard back book named the Wisdom of Confucius. I was a child in a bad place. i could not even keep a toy. But this book became my most prized possion . I hid it and would sneak it out at night or at any other opportunity to read it. But one day it was discovered and I have never seen the book again. Fortunate not long after i was rescued from the situation. I returned to a seemly normal life but i have never forgot that book. And once finally ridding myself of that religion as an adult and remembering the book I began to search for my old friend again and in doing so i found a treasure of knowledge and wisdom, more than my mind can hold.I learn that the thing I was looking for was buddha because he was the source of what i was reading. Sadly I have never found that book again tho it means very much to me. But the good thing is i have found where the wisdom in that book came from and most importantly I found who and what i am.I am ignorant of these different kinds of buddism and i think it is well for me to allow it come out naturally and not cling to one or the other till such time as it reviled to me what path i should take if indeed i am to choose one. But I am definitely sure buddha is the only way to peace for me. I want to learn more about what it means to be buddist but in the region where i live books and resources on buddha are all most non-existent. I have no other choice than to pursue buddha, without it I am not a good person and my life becomes so miserable I cant stand it. But this is my path and as long as i can stay on it i am happy, nothing else will do. So i will end this with an "hi my names is dennis and tho i am not a good one or a really smart one i am a buddist. Please forgive my grammar I have not got a good education but i can read and think well.And if any should happen upon my book I would be most grateful to know. It is more valuable to me than any price that may be placed on it.I Very much look forward to learning here and would thank all of you for having me.May we all find the peace within and have the wisdom to dwell there often. :sage:
LonesomeYogurt

Re: Greetings from east Tennessee

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Well off the top of my head this might be it: http://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Confucius- ... 586&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, welcome!
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Welcome Dennis,

You might want to check out some of our resources such as:
Introductory resources
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best Wishes
:anjali:
Mike
Spider Monkey

Post by Spider Monkey »

LonesomeYogurt wrote:Well off the top of my head this might be it: http://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Confucius- ... 586&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, welcome!
unbelievable its not the exact book, mine had some drawings on the front of it but that is the closet thing I haven seen to it so far. Many thanks i am probably gonna order that one on pay day. Maybe it is not my book can not be found maybe i just lack knowing where to look for it. Thanks i feel silly for mentioning it now but i am glad i did.You made that look easy.
Spider Monkey

Post by Spider Monkey »

mikenz66 wrote:Welcome Dennis,

You might want to check out some of our resources such as:
Introductory resources
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best Wishes
Mike
thanks i will be book marking that right now
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome Dennis!

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Ben

Post by Ben »

Greetings Dennis and welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
May you be happy!
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
cooran

Post by cooran »

Welcome Dennis! Look forward to reading your posts around the forums. :group:

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Welcome Dennis! My mother lives in East Tennessee and frequents a Tibetan Buddhist center there. I know of a few viharas (temples) in Murfreesboro and Nashville as well. May you find what you're looking for! :hug:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com