Hello dear kalyanamittas

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.

Hello dear kalyanamittas

Postby Sokehi » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:04 pm

I started practicing within the soto zen tradition before I travelled to Wat Pah Nanachat to get ordained as an Anagarika in 2002. After a few months of training there I returned to germany.

Sadhu! :anjali:
Last edited by Sokehi on Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
Sokehi

Re: Hello dear kalyanamittas

Postby Ben » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:14 pm

Greetings Michael and welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Heraclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Sokehi » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:21 pm

Thank you Ben for your warm welcome :)

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

Sokehi

Postby bodom » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:24 pm

Welcome Michael!

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:18 pm

:hello:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:buddha1:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Alobha » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:45 pm

Welcome! :smile:
Do you plan to stay a layperson after your time as an anagarika ?
Alobha

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:32 pm

Sokehi wrote:My name is Michael. Currently I live in germany.

I started practicing within the soto zen tradition, lived a couple of months at Zen Zentrum Eisenbuch before I travelled to Wat Pah Nanachat to get ordained as an Anagarika in 2002. After a few months of training there I returned to germany.

Sadhu! :anjali:

hi Michael,
Welcome Aboard.
how did you find your time as a Anagarika? I was one at Amaravati for just over a year.

why such a glum name?
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Dmytro » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:13 pm

Willkommen, Michael!
Dmytro

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:40 am

Greetings Michael,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:44 am

Welcome to Dhammawheel Michael!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=148031379279&v=info
Kiva-Theravada Buddhists:http://www.kiva.org/team/theravada_buddhists
Dana on the Interwebs:
http://greatergood.com
http://freerice.com
Khalil Bodhi

Postby Sokehi » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:01 am

Thank you very much everybody :)

@alobha: I'm unsure what you mean. Well I used to be an Anagarika back in 2002 and since then I am a layperson (but anagarikas are still laity anyways I guess?), but not a huge shake of a layperson :) I "disrobed" at Nanachat and stayed afterwards for a week or so, leaving the kuti, back to sleep above the kitchen as laymen usually do there.

@Cittasanto: well how did I find it? very cold, very hungry, very sore feet after pindabat, very happy, very afraid, very uplifted, very challenged... I guess you know what it is like within the frying pan of a monastery ;) the coin there has multiple sides. But still I recollect my time there as one of the most important and inspiring times of all my life ... just being a pahkow for just 3 months or so though. and I thought something glum like sokehi is more honest than "superbodhisattva" or something like that ;)

Sokehi

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:22 am

Sokehi wrote:
@Cittasanto: well how did I find it? very cold, very hungry, very sore feet after pindabat, very happy, very afraid, very uplifted, very challenged... I guess you know what it is like within the frying pan of a monastery ;) the coin there has multiple sides. But still I recollect my time there as one of the most important and inspiring times of all my life ... just being a pahkow for just 3 months or so though. and I thought something glum like sokehi is more honest than "superbodhisattva" or something like that ;)

:-)
it is not quite the same in the west, no pindabat, although it has its own unique difficulties.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Sokehi » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:53 am

In 2003 or so I stayed a couple of weeks at Aruna Rathanagiri (beautiful place with a wonderful abbot ;) ). So I could get a taste of forest sangha life in the west.

How did you find it living in a dual community like Amaravati? At Zen Zentrum Eisenbuch I found it difficult, not necesarrilly sexually but social-emotionally for sure.

Just to make it clear: I'm definetely pro bhikkuni... but after my experiences I think it is better to live in different viharas. But I'd welcome your impressions for my reflection.

Sokehi

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:29 pm

Sokehi wrote:In 2003 or so I stayed a couple of weeks at Aruna Rathanagiri (beautiful place with a wonderful abbot ;) ). So I could get a taste of forest sangha life in the west.

How did you find it living in a dual community like Amaravati? At Zen Zentrum Eisenbuch I found it difficult, not necesarrilly sexually but social-emotionally for sure.

Just to make it clear: I'm definetely pro bhikkuni... but after my experiences I think it is better to live in different viharas. But I'd welcome your impressions for my reflection.

Harnham is a very nice place and I respect Ajahn Munindo very much.
Zen (if the japanese form) don't have the same protocals when it comes to the sexes so it isn't good to compare the two, although the social aspect was a big challange for me also.
I believe the two sides should be as independent as possible, but not completely separate but far enough away so tensions can easily be averted/avoided.
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby Sokehi » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:18 pm

As mentioned before somewhere else on the Dhammawheel I'm happy to be able finally to leave this household here in august and take up Anagarika training at one of the english monasteries sometimes later :anjali:

I won't be able after this to contribute any more to this board (or any other social media).

I'll hop in every now and then until august and would like to express my sincere thank you to the admins and the forummembers that contribute in a supportive and wholesome way to the needs and questions of others on this board. You all have been great online-kalyanamittas for me :bow:

Sokehi

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:08 pm

Best of luck!

And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby walkart » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:16 pm

Sokehi wrote:As mentioned before somewhere else on the Dhammawheel I'm happy to be able finally to leave this household here in august and take up Anagarika training at one of the english monasteries sometimes later :anjali:

I won't be able after this to contribute any more to this board (or any other social media).

I'll hop in every now and then until august and would like to express my sincere thank you to the admins and the forummembers that contribute in a supportive and wholesome way to the needs and questions of others on this board. You all have been great online-kalyanamittas for me :bow:

Which Vihara it would be ? :smile:
walkart

Postby Sokehi » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm

It's going to be one of the monasteries of the Ajahn Chah Tradition. My apologies but I'd like to keep shared informations of my whereabouts very simple and limited to close friends. Some sort of Adhitthana I made... years ago I realised the fewer know about my aspirations and travels the better. No offense. Basically I wanted to know you who are interested that I'll leave this board soon :spy: :anjali:

Sokehi

Postby Sokehi » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:23 pm

Modus.Ponens wrote:Best of luck!

Thank you very much! :heart:

Sokehi

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:04 pm

Sokehi wrote:As mentioned before somewhere else on the Dhammawheel I'm happy to be able finally to leave this household here in august and take up Anagarika training at one of the english monasteries sometimes later :anjali:

Congratulations! Sadhu!

Why not? Is that just for the anagarika period or even beyond? I know many monks who participate here and other forums, other avenues on the internet, for wholesome purposes of Dhamma discussion, Dhamma instruction, etc.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Next

Return to Introductions