Hi everyone!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.

Hi everyone!

Postby Dallas » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:26 am

Hello everybody! I'm Dallas. I'm 29, was raised Christian, but it never settled well with me. My father is a preacher, and the expectations of my family were that I would also become a Christian minister. I enrolled in seminary, and a couple of months in couldn't find any faith to continue. I spent the next 10 years after that with no faith, but a lot of anger at religion in general. A couple of years ago I discovered Buddhism, and the concepts resonated with me, but it's only recently that I've begun to seriously follow the Eightfold Path and practice meditation.

I'm hoping these forums will help me connect with a sangha I am currently lacking. I'm moving to Bangkok, Thailand in 5 days, so hopefully that situation will improve soon, but I'd still like to have an online community to share wisdom with.I hope to know many of you before it's over, so please welcome me to your community.
Visit leafSpirit for helpful articles on meditation.
Dallas

Re: Hi everyone!

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:15 am

:hello:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:buddha2:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:41 am

Greetings Dallas,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

Yes - I find it's good to have both a physical and online Sangha to the extent that is possible, as both can provide support/engagement/assistance in different ways.

Unfortunately I find it difficult to maintain regular contact with a physical Sangha due to geography, but if you're in Bangkok, you will have no such trouble!

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby bodom » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:13 pm

Welcome Dallas!

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Return to Introductions