What is old is new again.

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
dagon

What is old is new again.

Post by dagon »

My respect to all.

My earliest memories are of Shwedagon Pagoda – memories that have always been my sanctuary through a lifetime of travels, studies and more than a fair share of stupidity. Fast forward through marriage, births, deaths, and all of the mixed experiences that karma brings.
Now my time is spent looking after the elderly sick and dying people in a nursing home.

Having decided to move back to SE Asia I decide to read up on Theravada Buddhism and the forest tradition in particular because of where I will be living. Started reading – first reaction is that I know far less than I believed I did. Lord Buddha tells us to listen and question not to be attracted by his obvious qualities. This works for me as I was brought up in the western scientific traditions – the only way that you can prove a theory is to try and disprove it.

So I read more, um... 4 Noble Truths – then go to work – what do I see universal suffering and the reality that birth will bring. Looking after people from all sorts of like circumstances; rich and poor, city and country, educated and uneducated successful and unsuccessful – none of this matters because suffering comes to all. What I see all around me is grief. Loss of loved ones neighbors pets, houses, social position … the list continues.

Reflect back to my education (economic at university) where I was taught that “needs and wants are unlimited but resources are not”. Buddha has taught that it is grasping that has caused us to be born in the first place and keeps us in the cycle of birth and death. Economics has taught me that the material and sensory desires will never to fulfill. Even those who believed that they had achieved goals of wealth and social position have lost most before they even pass. So these things are only temporary and serve as an illusion that blindfolds us.

This is all a bit black so back to study the lessons of Buddha – the Nobel 8 Fold Path … this is where the light is.

OK I could go on but I will not make you suffer with my writing any more beyond saying that this should serve to introduce me. Looking forward to spending time here.
Love and best wishes to all, Paul
mikenz66

Re: What is old is new again.

Post by mikenz66 »

Welcome Paul,

Thanks for the great introduction.

:anjali:
Mike
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:buddha2:
dagon

Post by dagon »

Thank you Mike and David for you welcomes.

I know that i have already benefited from this site and the time i have spent here - but i have so much to learn so i will be here a lot. Luckily there are so many question that have already been asked here by others that i will be able to progress from this point without troubling others TOO much.

David - thank you for the loving kindness in developing this resource and sanctuary.

I hope i have the wisdom to wisely use the teaching of Lord Buddha and the karma that has given me such a fortunate life.

Paul
cooran

Post by cooran »

Welcome dagon! :group:

Very interesting to read your first post and look forward to reading more in the discussions.

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
dagon

Post by dagon »

Cooran - thank you for you welcome and metta.

i don't think that you will hear much from me in the discussions as i am here to learn and there are so many here with more knowledge of the Dhamma than i have. At this time i am struggling to develop my understanding and apply it to my life. The distractions of a mundane life continue to extract time from my development yet i still need to be mindful. This was brought home to be the other day when a friend and coworker asked me to go to their wedding in India. I reflected on the qualities of this person and the kindness they had show me, so i agreed. Then i found out the house i was to stay in for a week was less than 2 km from Boda Gaya.

Everyday shows me the truth and wisdom of Lord Buddha's teaching.

With metta
paul