Hello.

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
BlackAngelPlayah

Hello.

Post by BlackAngelPlayah »

I'm Jennifer. Of course as you can see from my very UNbuddhist screen name, I haven't chosen a Dhamma name yet. :)

I'm new at this. I've always thought about becoming a Buddhist. Partially because I felt it was a great religion and there was a lot to learn there. And partially because it sounds cool to tell people "I'm a Buddhist." LoL! Just being honest.

Since I was a teen I've been searching for a religion that fit me. I was raised Christian, baptist to be exact. My mom wasn't strict with me. She let me experiment. She's even changed it up a few times in her life. So I'm fortunate to have such an understanding mother. She didn't even worry when I tried Wicca. She completely let me follow my own path.

I won't bore you with all my experiments, but ultimately, I always returned to these main two- Wicca and Buddhism. There was something that pulled me to these two. Wicca is a very earth based religion. A very truth based religion. There's a lot of chanting and meditating. Drawing on your own mind and body and energy in harmony with the earth. I've always liked this.

But in the end, I came back to Buddhism. And this time I really researched it. I found out I knew nothing. LoL! That my idea of Buddhism was complete rubbish. Well, I had the gist of it. Meditate, but I didn't really know how. Love, but I don't know how to do it unconditionally all the time. Well actually I DO, but there's always this nagging resentment. I'm getting better at it, but I have a ways to go. And peace. But I get mad too often.

I began reading the works of Ajahn Summedo. Later I listened to some of his talks. What he said made sense. I also read an entire course of Modern Buddhism books. Everything resonated with me. It was perfect. The perfect way to live. :)

Now the hard part. Putting it into practice. And PRACTICING it! But I'm up for it. :)

Well that's all there is to really tell here. Hopefully you'll all get to know more about me through many conversations. :)

:namaste:
reflection

Re: Hello.

Post by reflection »

Hi!

Hope you have a nice time exploring the Buddhist path. Practicing is the hard part indeed, but can also become the easy part.

This forum can be a bit technical and detailed at times, so don't get lost in those details. But since you've already found Ajahn Sumedho I'm not too concerned. He seems to have a gift to bring it down to the core things.

And although it might sound cool to say you are a Buddhist, it soon wears off. :stirthepot: ;)

With kindness,
Reflection
cooran

Post by cooran »

Welcome Jennifer! :group:

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Welcome!

:hello:

:anjali:
Mike
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!