Hello everyone !

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.

Hello everyone !

Postby Ajisai » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:21 am

Hello everyone :hello:

I am a 28 years old girl and I am new to Buddhism.
English is not my first language; I have a pretty good understanding but sometimes my expression gets a little weird so please do not hesitate to correct my english (I would really appreciate that actually) or ask questions if what I write is unclear.

(Before posting: I realize this is a very long post. If you quickly want to know about me, maybe it is better you read only the last part I put in blue. If you like long and boring readings though, you are welcome to do so).

My first encounter with buddhism is when my mom and I went to see the movie Little Buddha at a theater. I was little at the time, but I remember being very impressed by the Buddha's life and some of the Buddhist concepts. But that was all then, since I was being raised as a (tolerant) Catholic Christian.

My second encounter happened during my first trip to Japan about seven years ago. I lived there for a year, and like most tourists, during my travels I visited many beautiful Buddhist temples. The only Buddhist notions I had were vague recollections Buddhims as portrayed in movies, documentaries and tv shows. I then though it was too bad visiting Buddhist temples without knowing what Buddhim was about. So I bought the book "The teachings of Buddha" that was sold in one of the temples and started reading it. It was a complete discovery. I realized some completely new concepts, and at the same time there were many things on which I agreed. It changed my point of view on some things for some time, but then I kind of forgot about them.

After that I went back to my own country. From time to time, when I was looking for anwsers or feeling that something was missing, I would naturally turn to Buddhism, look for some books and read them. But most of the time the writing style of the books I chose was heavy and made it not very clear, and my interest would just gradually fade away.

Now I am back living in Japan again. Since a year, I have been having minor health problems which are caused by stress.
My way of living should be quite peacefull actually. My work is not supposedly very stressful, I have a boyfriend I am living with, I have friends...
I realized I have a tendancy to over-react to everything, which causes the stress, which causes me to have health problems, which increases stress, my health problems get worse, etc.
I have read some good books about stress that made me realize the problems do not come from my life but from my mind. I tried some techniques advised in the book but it was not very efficient. I also started to do some sport which helps me release some stress and also make me feel physically better, but I felt something else was missing.

Then I remembered about buddhism. I read a book in two parts, on about the sutra, the other about tantra. I got very enthusiastic about the sutra but the tantra did not correspond me at all. Then I looked for other types of Buddhism and I found out about Theravada which I think is more for me.

It had only been more than a week since then, and I found many very good books in English about the teachings of Buddha on the internet. I cannot stop wanting to read more about it, I think about it all the time, and this time I have decided to put the teachings into practice. I have many problems that I believe can be solved by the Buddha's teachings: I get easily angry or disappointed, I have tendancy to judge myself or the others, I never forgive myself, sometimes I lie, I am afraid of sickness and death, etc.

But to be honest, I am not sure if I really want to become a Buddhist.
What I feel know is that Buddha's teaching make so much sense, they are so close to my values and they are so wise I cannot ignore them. I do now know if the path is made for me, but I want to give a try because I believe it cannot harm me to try to do so, it can only do me good ! I will try practice the teachings for several months, and then I will chose if I want to continue and be able to call myself a Buddhist. I hope this is okay with you guys.

I will probably have lots of silly questions.

Oh, and I found this forum because I was looking an answer at the question "Does illegal downloading break the second principle?" and I found people had a great discussion here about it. Then I saw it was a Therevada forum and thought "Maybe this can become my Sangha".

Anyway, nice to meet you all. :smile:
Ajisai

Re: Hello everyone !

Postby cooran » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:25 am

Hello Ajisai,

Welcome to DhammaWheel :group:

Hope you find it of use.

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:37 am

Ajisai wrote:Then I saw it was a Theravada forum and thought "Maybe this can become my Sangha".

:thumbsup:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:14 am

Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:20 am

Welcome to DW!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=148031379279&v=info
Kiva-Theravada Buddhists:http://www.kiva.org/team/theravada_buddhists
Dana on the Interwebs:
http://greatergood.com
http://freerice.com
Khalil Bodhi

Return to Introductions