Hello.

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Jordan

Hello.

Post by Jordan »

Well my name is Jordan and I stay in Scotland UK, I go to a college and study uniformed services but to become a fire-fighter as I want to try help people and make a difference to peoples lives, There was a chat in my college recently and no one has a religion and only a few have a few believes and I thought wow, this is what people believe. nothing no one even had any ideas and I've always liked the thought of Buddhism but never really looked into it until recently and im starting to really like the idea of it and there views and have even tried meditation today which I do actually really love. I was feeling really stressed and tired after college at around 5pm and I sat for 20m and began to feel my body pulse and become really relaxed and I thought it would be really boring but seemed to really calm me and after around 10m my eyes began to water and I cried a little which is very unusual to me as I never normally cry (is this normal?) but after it I was able to go for a nap and wake up feeling refreshed which is something I have never been able to do as I struggle to sleep at the best of times. But there is a few things which seem to not work for me so don't know how i can go around this, the only problems are: Sex for pleasure,Drinking alcohol, and eating meat but ive read a few diffent things about eating meat and being a Buddhist so confused there, but i want to find out more really and wonder if there is any good starting points really? -Jordan
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Hello.

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:toast:

Theravada Resource Guide:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3012
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Welcome Jordan,

:hello:

:anjali:
Mike
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

Well met, Jordan!
Jordan wrote: But there is a few things which seem to not work for me so don't know how i can go around this, the only problems are: Sex for pleasure,Drinking alcohol, and eating meat but ive read a few diffent things about eating meat and being a Buddhist so confused there, but i want to find out more really and wonder if there is any good starting points really?
Seems to me like you've probably already done some reading to even pick up on these particular items.

It is true that certain schools of Buddhism frown apon the consumption of meat, but this really is a personal matter and I don't think anyone has ever condemned me for doing so. In my case, I don't eat as much as I used to, and I very rarely ask for it to be prepared for me, but I will eat it if it is offered to me or is leftover. Don't worry about changing your diet all at once -- but if you look deeply and realize that you are causing animals to suffer, it may be time to consider alternatives.

Consumption of alcohol was a huge vice for me when I discovered Buddhism... and believe it or not, it can be overcome. My last occasion consuming alcohol was on January 16, 2012 (I remember because it was my birthday). The decision to quit for me was like the flipping of a switch -- not everyone can manage it that quickly I suppose so again, just look deeply at your actions and your mind state when you drink and decide whether it is really the way you want to be or not, then act accordingly.

As for sex, I believe the Buddha once said that if there were any other attachment stronger than that of a man for a woman, no one would ever be enlightened. I am no where near putting this issue down permanently -- I'm married and it is enough that my wife understands that I intend to keep Uposatha days celibate -- the rest of the week is open game pretty much at her discretion. I suppose most guys wouldn't complain about that sort of thing though, eh?

Find yourself some good books (I started with the Dhammapada) and a quiet place to read and meditate. I'm sure others may have perfectly good suggestions also.

Please be well, friend. :anjali:
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Thanks everyone for the welcome and Hickersonia thanks for that response as it did help alot and found a local place in my area that has meetings to focus on learning and meditating so going to go to one next week and hopefully broaden my mind and gain more information. :anjali:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Jordan,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome Jordan!

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

Jordan wrote:Thanks everyone for the welcome and Hickersonia thanks for that response as it did help alot and found a local place in my area that has meetings to focus on learning and meditating so going to go to one next week and hopefully broaden my mind and gain more information. :anjali:
You are quite welcome, my friend.

Finding a local place to practice is very important from my experience. Currently, the closest place to me doesn't hold regular meetings so I sort of have two temples I visit, associated with two very different schools of Buddhism. The close one is a Khmer temple; they're kind of a Cambodians-only club but they don't seem to mind me joining them -- my having friends among them from work probably doesn't hurt. The other is a Vietnamese Pure Land temple, about 30 minutes away, and they meet every week (and on a convenient day) and are supremely welcoming. I can get a dose of in-person Dhamma/Dharma at least one time a week this way when I choose to do so.

You may want to consider checking out Ajahn Brahm's talks on Youtube, too. He is an Australian monk (British by birth, if I'm not mistaken). :) I take at least one Sunday per month and just watch Dhamma videos from English speaking monks rather than going to temple. So far, I haven't found any local "American" Buddhist centers that are actually associated with a living-breathing monastic Sangha...

Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Jordan and welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

A good place to start is the "introductory resources" thread in our Discovering Theravada sub-forum.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Hey :hello:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”