Hello from the UK:)

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.

Hello from the UK:)

Postby robdog » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:13 pm

Hi, i have just joined and thought i would introduce myself :bow:

My name is Rob and i live in the UK. Im 37 and have had a troubled history mainly involving drink and drug abuse. Ive been serious addiction free now for nearly 3 years since i quit drinking though and finally managed to quit cannabis 3 months ago and i also quit tobacco at the same time so for the first time in many many years i am truly myself.

Ive been meditating for around 18 months but only the past 6 months or so have i taken it seriously, im also doing a lot of yoga these past 3 months or so and feel great for it.

I have always had a very very over active mind, my body has always been lazy but my mind has always more than made up for that. I still have problems with anxiety but after trying all sorts of medication both legal and illegal i have been drawn to Buddhism. I like to listen to talks by Ajahn Brahm and Thanissaro Bhikkhu, they make a lot of sense to me and i feel drawn to the ideas of Buddhism more so than i ever was drugs or drink. I just feel it in my bones that it is right for me and really want to dedicate myself to the path.

I have learned a few things off my own back but feel its time now to join a community of like minded people which i feel can only help me to get further along the path. I am still a beginner and im not looking for a quick fix, i want to put the work in and hopefully start to finally lead a peaceful life. I tend to be the sort of person who doesn't really sweat the big stuff in life but panic like mad about stupid silly things, this is what i want to change. I want to be at peace with myself and others and im hoping with work, time and the valuable advice im hoping to find on this forum i can at some point achieve my goal.

Sorry for the essay and thanks for having me :thumbsup:
robdog

Re: Hello from the UK:)

Postby cooran » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:40 pm

Welcome to DhammaWheel, Rob! :group:

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:51 pm

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:yingyang:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:21 pm

Hi Rob and welcome to Dhammawheel!
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief

Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Return to Introductions