Buddhist Scripture use for Paper

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.

Buddhist Scripture use for Paper

Postby sobsgtz28 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:44 pm

I am in an Introduction to World Religions class and am working on my final paper one of the topics being scripture use in Christianity and Buddhism. It is suggested I get an interview with a follower of Buddha and ask about the scripture use in the religion, how important it is and your personal beleifs on the subject. Thank you
Sean
sobsgtz28

Re: Buddhist Scripture use for Paper

Postby JacquelineR » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:28 pm

:anjali: Hi Sean,

I'm a fellow study of religion student. While Buddhists disagree on the respective importance of the numerous versions of the Buddhist Canon and its many commentaries, and the status of non-canonical texts, I'd be happy to help you out to the best of my ability if you send me a private message. It might be good to talk to a few people with diverse backgrounds to get a range of perspectives. :reading:
JacquelineR

Postby appicchato » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:07 pm

Hi...curiosity rears it's head (and here's one perspective)...what's 'scripture use'?...whether it's religion, philosophy, washing machine maintenance, or anything else (prose, poetry, et al...), it/they serve(s) as an instructive/informative/insightive tool...a manual...would we have a hydrogen bomb, brain surgery, assembly instructions for a crib, or the internet (and where would we be, in general) without 'writing' ('scripture' as defined in the dictionary)?...the/it's 'importance', as well as to what degree, gobsmacked this noob as to even be debatable on whether or not it is, or could be, a personal belief in reference to it's/their relevance...

No disrespect intended...except (perhaps) for the person responsible for this assignment... :reading:
appicchato

Postby cooran » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:52 am

Hello Sean,

This previous thread may be of assistance, about the Banakas (recites):
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=211

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Return to Introductions