Greetings, fellow followers!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.

Re: Greetings, fellow followers!

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Tue May 20, 2014 11:10 am

I HAVE A LAPTOP!! Through the kindness and selfless generosity of an acquaintance, I am now furnished with an easier means of accessing this website.

How kind!

Sorry for you all, though!! :tongue:

:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby Kim OHara » Tue May 20, 2014 11:40 am

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:I HAVE A LAPTOP!! Through the kindness and selfless generosity of an acquaintance, I am now furnished with an easier means of accessing this website.

How kind!

Sorry for you all, though!! :tongue:

I'm sure your benefactor has acquired merit by supplying the gadget.
Dana comes in funny forms these days, doesn't it?

:coffee:
Kim
Kim OHara

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Sat May 31, 2014 8:06 pm

This is a test:

great website
Last edited by TheNoBSBuddhist on Sat May 31, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby daverupa » Sat May 31, 2014 8:07 pm

:clap:
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Sat May 31, 2014 8:09 pm

Thank you thank you... it was nothing, really!!

Thanks daverupa!!

Any way to reduce image size, or is it as it happens...?!

TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby daverupa » Sat May 31, 2014 8:14 pm

It involves reIMG, I think, which is a possible feature of phpBB, but beyond that I'm unsure whether it's present at this site, or if so, what to write to engage it.

This would be the demarcation between a hobbyist and someone with actual knowledge...

---

It can go something like this, at present:

{img width=500 height=500}image url{/img}

though with square brackets instead of curvy braces.

---

Or not... hmm...
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
daverupa

Postby waterchan » Sat May 31, 2014 8:17 pm

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:Any way to reduce image size, or is it as it happens...?!

By "size" I'm assuming you mean dimensions and not file size. I don't think this forum has such a feature.

You can download the photo and open it in Paint, which I'm sure you have installed if your computer uses Windows. Use the resize feature, and save.

Then you can attach the resized image in your post.

By the way, congratulations on your laptop and sadhu to your benefactor. :smile:
Last edited by waterchan on Sat May 31, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
waterchan

Postby daverupa » Sat May 31, 2014 8:18 pm

The above code would work if we had reIMG, an optional appendage for phpBB, if I understand correctly. But I'm autodidactically researching this, which can be perilous.

daverupa

Postby waterchan » Sat May 31, 2014 8:20 pm

daverupa wrote:But I'm autodidactically researching this, which can be perilous.

I think every decent computer person out there is used to learning things the perilous way!
waterchan

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Sat May 31, 2014 8:23 pm

waterchan wrote:
TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:Any way to reduce image size, or is it as it happens...?!

By "size" I'm assuming you mean dimensions and not file size. I don't think this forum has such a feature.

You can download the photo and open it in Paint, which I'm sure you have installed if your computer uses Windows. Use the resize feature, and save.

Then you can attach the resized image in your post.

I'm so archaic in mentality, I'm still trying to use tippex on my screen. :jumping:

Yes, I have 'paint' but it's all too much trouble.
Besides, at the speed people post on here, with my slowness, the discussion would have moved on, making any attempt on my part, probably redundant!!
:tongue:

By the way, congratulations on your laptop and sadhu to your benefactor. :smile:

He is a very kind man. And indeed, sadhu in spades, it was most selfless of him.

TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby waterchan » Sat May 31, 2014 8:31 pm

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:Yes, I have 'paint' but it's all too much trouble.

Here is your image, resized to 60%.
waterchan

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Sat May 31, 2014 8:37 pm

Thank you.
It actually is quite a nice statue....

Glad I found it.

And thanks for re-sizing it.

But without a URL, how did you post it ...?

Hang on....

Tried 'quoting' your post to see the formatting. That looks complicated!

TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby waterchan » Sat May 31, 2014 8:45 pm

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:But without a URL, how did you post it ...?

I uploaded the image to an image hosting website, then grabbed the URL from there. There are plenty of them on the Internet, easily found with a google search.

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:Tried 'quoting' your post to see the formatting. That looks complicated!

1. Highlight the text you want to turn into a web link.
2. Click the URL button
3. Two URL tags will appear. In the left URL tag, type an equal sign and paste the address

It's very simple. You'll get the hang of it eventually.
waterchan

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Sat May 31, 2014 8:54 pm

waterchan wrote:
TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:But without a URL, how did you post it ...?

I uploaded the image to an image hosting website, then grabbed the URL from there. There are plenty of them on the Internet, easily found with a google search.

Ah right. With 'paint' you don't get a URL address, that's why I asked....

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:Tried 'quoting' your post to see the formatting. That looks complicated!

1. Highlight the text you want to turn into a web link.
2. Click the URL button
3. Two URL tags will appear. In the left URL tag, type an equal sign and paste the address

It's very simple. You'll get the hang of it eventually.

No no...I've got how to post an image now.... I was just checking the formatting in your post, to see how you managed to get a URL from 'paint' which is how you originally suggested I re-size the image.... I thought that's how you'd done it, I didn't realise you'd used a hosting website.

TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby waterchan » Sat May 31, 2014 8:55 pm

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:No no...I've got how to post an image now.... I was just checking the formatting in your post, to see how you managed to get a URL from 'paint' which is how you originally suggested I re-size the image.... I thought that's how you'd done it, I didn't realise you'd used a hosting website.

The hosting website was for uploading the image I resized with Paint.

Another way to do it is to attach the image to your forum post. That bypasses the need to upload it to the Internet.

Sorry if it was a bit confusing. I am used to doing these steps subconsciously on a regular basis so I neglected to break it down into individual steps.
waterchan

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Sat May 31, 2014 8:56 pm

Another way to do it is to attach the image to your forum post. That bypasses the need to upload it to the Internet.

and you do that, how....?

TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby waterchan » Sat May 31, 2014 9:08 pm

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:

and you do that, how....?

When you write your post, at the bottom of the text box is a tab named "Upload attachment". You can upload a local file by clicking on that.
waterchan

Previous

Return to Introductions