Hey there!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.

Hey there!

Postby Mort432 » Wed May 07, 2014 12:29 am

:namaste:

Hey! I've joined up because I'm expecting to be asking a lot of questions over the next few months, heh.

My name's Connagh, I'm 18 and I'm a student in the UK. I've always had an interest in Buddhism but always felt disillusioned towards it, having grown up with parents and family heavily into "contemporary zen" and crystal healing and the like, which has always seemed very hokey to me (no offence intended to those who may or may not draw enjoyment and comfort from these things).

However, I recently had a copy of Hesse's Siddhartha passed on to me by my college tutor, and it rekindled something inside me, showed me that there was substance to be found within real Buddhism. After a lot of reading and a little meditation, I've decided to follow this path and see where in leads. I have a Buddhist centre near me, planning on attending for meditation practice tomorrow.

I've still not decided on a school of Buddhism, still need to find a decent resource so I can learn about each one.
Theravada currently seems a likely choice but I need to make a more informed decision.
Mort432

Re: Hey there!

Postby Mkoll » Wed May 07, 2014 12:36 am

Welcome to the forum!

If you're interested in learning more about Theravada, I recommend you check out Ven. Bhikku Bodhi's translations of the Theravada scriptures, the Pali Canon. This audio by the same serves as a great introduction to it all, IMO.
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby Mort432 » Wed May 07, 2014 12:39 am

Mkoll wrote:Welcome to the forum!

If you're interested in learning more about Theravada, I recommend you check out Ven. Bhikku Bodhi's translations of the Theravada scriptures, the Pali Canon. This audio by the same serves as a great introduction to it all, IMO.

Thank you very much! I'll probably get the PDF as I'm a fairly fast reader. This is very useful, thank you once more.

:anjali:
Mort432

Postby cooran » Wed May 07, 2014 3:24 am

Welcome Connagh! :group: It is good to 'test and taste' the various buddhist traditions before committing to one - it is the way I came to Buddhism after being a devout Christian for over 30 years.

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed May 07, 2014 3:36 am

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:thumbsup:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby bodom » Wed May 07, 2014 3:47 am

Welcome!

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Return to Introductions