Hello from Sheffield, England

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.

Hello from Sheffield, England

Postby WASW » Thu May 22, 2014 8:17 pm

Hello!

I am in my mid 20s, doing Post-Grad studies in Sheffield, UK. I've been and on-again, off-again meditator since my late teens, but have recently become more serious about practice, and more interested in the Buddhist ideas underpinning it all. Very much a newbie, but a well-intentioned one. Hope to have some good discussions/learn here!

WASW
WASW
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 8:15 pm

Re: Hello from Sheffield, England

Postby cooran » Thu May 22, 2014 8:43 pm

Welcome to DhammaWheel!! :group:

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
User avatar
cooran
 
Posts: 7718
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:32 pm
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: Hello from Sheffield, England

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu May 22, 2014 8:49 pm

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:thumbsup:
User avatar
David N. Snyder
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8165
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Hello from Sheffield, England

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Thu May 22, 2014 9:32 pm

Ah, Sheffield. Erstwhile home of British Steel....

Welcome fellow-Brit, to Dhamma Wheel!

:namaste:
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.



Image

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
User avatar
TheNoBSBuddhist
 
Posts: 1614
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:06 pm
Location: Loch Lomond, via the High AND Low road....

Re: Hello from Sheffield, England

Postby Mkoll » Thu May 22, 2014 10:07 pm

Welcome to the forum, WASW.

:hello:
Peace,
James
User avatar
Mkoll
 
Posts: 3617
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Hello from Sheffield, England

Postby bodom » Thu May 22, 2014 10:57 pm

Welcome!

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
User avatar
bodom
 
Posts: 4637
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Hello from Sheffield, England

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Fri May 23, 2014 12:07 am

Welcome to DW WASW!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=148031379279&v=info
Kiva-Theravada Buddhists:http://www.kiva.org/team/theravada_buddhists
Dana on the Interwebs:
http://greatergood.com
http://freerice.com
User avatar
Khalil Bodhi
 
Posts: 1647
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Hello from Sheffield, England

Postby Spiny Norman » Fri May 23, 2014 8:10 am

WASW wrote:Hello!

I am in my mid 20s, doing Post-Grad studies in Sheffield, UK. I've been and on-again, off-again meditator since my late teens, but have recently become more serious about practice, and more interested in the Buddhist ideas underpinning it all. Very much a newbie, but a well-intentioned one. Hope to have some good discussions/learn here!

WASW


Hello WASW. Have you been to any local Buddhist groups or centres?
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
User avatar
Spiny Norman
 
Posts: 2847
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Spam, wonderful spam

Re: Hello from Sheffield, England

Postby Aloka » Fri May 23, 2014 8:47 am

Welcome WASW,

I'm also from the UK. :hello:


.
User avatar
Aloka
 
Posts: 3724
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: Hello from Sheffield, England

Postby WASW » Fri May 23, 2014 2:19 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:
WASW wrote:Hello!

I am in my mid 20s, doing Post-Grad studies in Sheffield, UK. I've been and on-again, off-again meditator since my late teens, but have recently become more serious about practice, and more interested in the Buddhist ideas underpinning it all. Very much a newbie, but a well-intentioned one. Hope to have some good discussions/learn here!

WASW


Hello WASW. Have you been to any local Buddhist groups or centres?


No, not so far. I'm only aware of two. There's a centre run by the Triratna group which is a bit far from me, and then there's an NKT centre which is a bit closer. I've read some dodgy things about both groups though so haven't gone out of my way to visit them so far.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone :)
WASW
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 8:15 pm

Re: Hello from Sheffield, England

Postby Coyote » Fri May 23, 2014 2:34 pm

I am also from the UK, though live in Wales. There are several Thai Forest monasteries in England, including Amaravati and Cittaviveka.

:anjali:
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Coyote
 
Posts: 543
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:42 pm
Location: Wales - UK

Re: Hello from Sheffield, England

Postby WASW » Mon May 26, 2014 3:38 pm

Coyote wrote:I am also from the UK, though live in Wales. There are several Thai Forest monasteries in England, including Amaravati and Cittaviveka.

:anjali:


They both look like inspirational places, but are sadly quite far from where I am in the north (as I do not drive) :(
WASW
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 8:15 pm

Re: Hello from Sheffield, England

Postby imagemarie » Mon May 26, 2014 4:03 pm

I sometimes sit with a group affiliated to Aruna Ratanagiri, in Leeds.


http://sheffieldmeditation.wordpress.com/

Seek them out ! :smile:

:anjali:
User avatar
imagemarie
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: Hello from Sheffield, England

Postby WASW » Mon May 26, 2014 4:42 pm

imagemarie wrote:I sometimes sit with a group affiliated to Aruna Ratanagiri, in Leeds.


http://sheffieldmeditation.wordpress.com/

Seek them out ! :smile:

:anjali:


imagemarie, that's great thank you! They seem to be based within a really easy distance of where I live, so I'll get in touch with them.
WASW
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 8:15 pm

Re: Hello from Sheffield, England

Postby aletheia » Wed May 28, 2014 4:37 pm

Welcome WASW! Out of curiosity, what have you been studying?
Metta,

Eric
User avatar
aletheia
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:07 am

Re: Hello from Sheffield, England

Postby Spiny Norman » Thu May 29, 2014 8:35 am

WASW wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:
WASW wrote:Hello!

I am in my mid 20s, doing Post-Grad studies in Sheffield, UK. I've been and on-again, off-again meditator since my late teens, but have recently become more serious about practice, and more interested in the Buddhist ideas underpinning it all. Very much a newbie, but a well-intentioned one. Hope to have some good discussions/learn here!

WASW


Hello WASW. Have you been to any local Buddhist groups or centres?


No, not so far. I'm only aware of two. There's a centre run by the Triratna group which is a bit far from me, and then there's an NKT centre which is a bit closer. I've read some dodgy things about both groups though so haven't gone out of my way to visit them so far.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone :)


Triratna are quite good at teaching meditation to beginners, so they might be worth a visit. Their standard meditations are mindfulness of breathing and mettabhavana, which are a good fit with Theravada practice. As you probably know NKT are a Tibetan tradition, they do Lamrin practice.

Another option might be a weekend retreat at a monastery.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
User avatar
Spiny Norman
 
Posts: 2847
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Spam, wonderful spam

Re: Hello from Sheffield, England

Postby Cittasanto » Thu May 29, 2014 9:08 am

WASW wrote:
Coyote wrote:I am also from the UK, though live in Wales. There are several Thai Forest monasteries in England, including Amaravati and Cittaviveka.

:anjali:


They both look like inspirational places, but are sadly quite far from where I am in the north (as I do not drive) :(

Hi & Welcome,
Harnham (Aruna Ratangiri (sp?)) is up north so maybe maybe better for you but a train to Hemel Hempstead makes Amaravati easy to get too :)
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
User avatar
Cittasanto
 
Posts: 5846
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Ellan Vannin

Re: Hello from Sheffield, England

Postby WASW » Thu May 29, 2014 10:15 am

aletheia wrote:Welcome WASW! Out of curiosity, what have you been studying?


Doing an Archaeology PhD. :)
WASW
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 8:15 pm

Re: Hello from Sheffield, England

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Thu May 29, 2014 10:44 am

Plenty of old ruins round here..... present company included.... :tongue:

:jumping:

:namaste:
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.



Image

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
User avatar
TheNoBSBuddhist
 
Posts: 1614
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:06 pm
Location: Loch Lomond, via the High AND Low road....


Return to Introductions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests