Hi! Any rational people out there?

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.

Hi! Any rational people out there?

Postby alan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:29 am

Recently found your forum. I'm hoping to discuss Dhamma with intelligent, sane people. All too often I run up against mushy-minded new-agey crystals and pyramid types--or worse!
I'm a photographer, currently working in New England (USA), heading off to Asia in November. Second time through Handful of leaves, it has been a revelation. I've found accesstoinsight to be an incredible resource. I'd like to talk to others on the path. The non-crazy ones, I mean.
Last edited by alan on Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
alan

Re: Hi! Any rational people out there?

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:34 am

Greetings Alan,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

No crystals here :tongue:

P.S. You might want to have a look at the different sub-forums here, get a feel of what they're each about (and any forum-specific guidelines they may possess) and use this categorisation to customise your experience here by steering clear of that which won't be of interest to you.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:49 am

NO sorry if you find anyone who is sane and rational slap them with a kipper 60 times while singing the birdy song off key in e minor, then youll see just how sane and rational they really are!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhJQp-q1Y1s
Last edited by Cittasanto on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:52 am

Manapa wrote:NO sorry if you find anyone who is sane and rational slap them with a kipper 60 times while singing the birdy song off key in e minor, then youll see just how sane and rational they really are!

A kipper? I would go for a flounder. Somehow more poetic.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:58 am

tiltbillings wrote:
Manapa wrote:NO sorry if you find anyone who is sane and rational slap them with a kipper 60 times while singing the birdy song off key in e minor, then youll see just how sane and rational they really are!

A kipper? I would go for a flounder. Somehow more poetic.

Not the same smell! :tongue:
Edit
Leave something to keep the memory ticking over
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby pink_trike » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:12 am

Greetings! In my experience, people interested in the Dharma fall on a spectrum ranging from rational to irrational and every point in between, by Dharma subject. The Dharma gently nudges everyone toward the middle ground.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Postby Jechbi » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:15 am

Welcome. It's an interesting mix.
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Jechbi

Postby BlackBird » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:24 am

Hi there Alan, keep in mind that no matter where we go, we're going to find things that are disagreeable to us. You could look at it this way: It's a good chance to practice those Paramis.

:smile:

"Birth is stressful, aging is stressful, death is stressful; sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair are stressful; association with what is not loved is stressful, separation from what is loved is stressful, not getting what is wanted is stressful. In short, the five clinging-aggregates are stressful.

"And what is the cause by which stress comes into play? Craving is the cause by which stress comes into play.

"And what is the diversity in stress? There is major stress & minor, slowly fading & quickly fading. This is called the diversity in stress.

- AN 6.63 - Nibbedhika Sutta: Penetrative

pink_trike wrote:The Dharma gently nudges everyone toward the middle ground.

Well, you can lead a horse to water...

Metta
Jack
Last edited by BlackBird on Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:25 am

alan wrote:Recently found your forum. I'm hoping to discuss Dhamma with intelligent, sane people.

All the joking aside, there are a fair number of knowledgable, serious practitioners here, and you will find good discussions.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby alan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:35 am

So it seems. But what better way to welcome a new friend than with some absurdist humor?
alan

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:37 am

:hello:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby zavk » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:15 am

Welcome.
With metta,
zavk
zavk

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:30 am

alan wrote:So it seems. But what better way to welcome a new friend than with some absurdist humor?

Too much Monty Python in my formative years.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby Ben » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:12 am

Hi Alan
Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
Hope to see some of your contributions soon!
cheers

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Sanghamitta » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:59 am

alan wrote:Recently found your forum. I'm hoping to discuss Dhamma with intelligent, sane people. All too often I run up against mushy-minded new-agey crystals and pyramid types--or worse!
I'm a photographer, currently working in New England (USA), heading off to Asia in November. Second time through Handful of leaves, it has been a revelation. I've found accesstoinsight to be an incredible resource. I'd like to talk to others on the path. The non-crazy ones, I mean.

Personally I am working hard to stop my habitual aversion to any manifestation of New Age " philosophy ".
Not because I am tempted by any of its manifestations, but because I am trying to see the person behind the views.
Its not always easy..... :thinking:
:smile:
:anjali:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:34 am

alan wrote:So it seems. But what better way to welcome a new friend than with some absurdist humor?

its only Absurd if it fails with everyone, and there is a being (an Arahant) my money is on it not failing with.
but already said Hi at your first post!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby alan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:12 pm

If what you mean is that the Pythons were a troupe of enlightened beings, I concur.
alan

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:48 pm

alan wrote:If what you mean is that the Pythons were a troupe of enlightened beings, I concur.

Maybe, maybe not!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby Sanghamitta » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:02 pm

alan wrote:If what you mean is that the Pythons were a troupe of enlightened beings, I concur.

Enlightened ?
Half the time they werent even funny ! Some of their shows were recently screened by the BBC on one of its subsidary channels. For every memorable sketch there were about four that were deadly dull and dated. I would expect a troupe of Enlightened people to be a little more consistant.. :smile: Plus, if John Cleese was Enlightened, what happened to turn him into a bore ? NO no no...
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby alan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:14 pm

Guess I should have inserted one of those silly little yellow people. I didn't think anyone would take that too seriously...
alan

Next

Return to Introductions