I suppose an introduction is in order...

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.

I suppose an introduction is in order...

Postby Mawkish1983 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:43 am

Hello all at Dhamma Wheel,

I'm new to this site. I was told about it through a celebrity I met at e-sangha (you know who you are). As I never formally introduced myself at e-sangha (or any other Buddhist forum for that matter) I feel perhaps it is now appropriate to do so.

My real name is Keith (but I've been known as Mawkish online since soon after I first started using the internet, some twelve or thirteen years ago. Long story why I chose that name, but it has always been appropriate). I have been studying and practicing Buddhism seriously since the end of 31st March 2008. although the more I study the more I realise that I'd been a 'Buddhist' all along (I'm sure a lot of people have that experience).

A little bit of background for you, my earliest memories are of me trying to figure out 'stuff'. It was my insatiable search for understanding (rather than knowledge) that lead me to science. Along the way, I thought I'd found the answer to 'stuff' in God (I joined the Salvation Army, became a soldier, etc etc etc), but in the end it didn't make sense to me and I left. So, my quest to understand 'stuff' has brought me to where I am now. I have a Masters degree in Physics and I am studying for a PhD... but more importantly, I have found that Buddhism seems to provide a wonderful path to help me figure out 'stuff'.

I'm sorry if this is all a bit ambiguous, but if I was to go into detail this post would have an ISBN number and be available in hardback from all good bookshops.

So, now, I follow Theravada Buddhism as closely as I can. I'm a beginner still, so go easy on me :)

Sorry for boring you all. I wonder, in what way does 'introducing yourself' reinforce the ego?
Mawkish1983

Re: I suppose an introduction is in order...

Postby Dhammanando » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:02 am

Hi Mawkish,

Welcome! :)

Mawkish1983 wrote:Sorry for boring you all. I wonder, in what way does 'introducing yourself' reinforce the ego?

It is reinforced by the distortions (vippallāsa) of perception, mind, and view, not by introducing oneself.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
    ...and this thought arose in the mind of the Blessed One:
    “Who lives without reverence lives miserably.”
    Uruvela Sutta, A.ii.20

It were endless to dispute upon everything that is disputable.
    — William Penn Some Fruits of Solitude,
Dhammanando

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:02 am

Hi Keith and welcome
Hope the search and Phd goes well!
I believe there are quite a lot of Similarities between science and Buddhism in different areas, although definetly not an expertise of mine more of a keen interest in the comparisons when such papers etc come out, although I think some of the areas are more coincidental/read to much into/seen what we want to see than actually verifying each other!
but anyhow Nice to meet you and we'll probably bump into each other from time to time!
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Ben » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:22 pm

Welcome Keith!
I'm sorry to see that your avatar picture is not in motion! I got used to it and it grew on me.
Thanks for sharing your story and letting us in on a little about yourself.
Metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Mawkish1983 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:35 pm

Ben wrote:Welcome Keith!
I'm sorry to see that your avatar picture is not in motion!
Ben

If you want, I can stick it on? <laughs>
Mawkish1983

Postby Ben » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:40 pm

Definitely! The one where you are swivelling slowly on your office chair!
Cheers
Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Ben
Site Admin

Postby genkaku » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:44 pm

Hi (again) Keith. Thanks and best wishes in your efforts.
genkaku

Postby Mawkish1983 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:54 pm

Ben wrote:Definitely! The one where you are swivelling slowly on your office chair!

Oh dear. The gif is 216.8 kB in size, but the maximum allowed is 128 kB :(.

If I am to swivel I will need to create a new file :( I'm too busy to do it right now
Mawkish1983

Postby Ben » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:01 pm

No problems mate!

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Return to Introductions