Hi everybody.

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.

Hi everybody.

Postby A Medic » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:25 pm

My name is Casey. I'll be going by A Medic on here. I'm 25 and a medic in the US Army Reserves. I just finished LPN school, and I'm working on my RN. One day I hope to become a Physician Assistant. My interest is mainly in Soto Zen Buddhism, but I also like Theravada. I mainly just read post on here probably won't post to much myself.

:anjali:
A Medic

Re: Hi everybody.

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:53 pm

:hello:

Hi Casey,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

Have you been to Iraq or Afghanistan yet? Stay safe.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby notself » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:37 pm

Welcome. :anjali:
Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he is indeed the noblest victor who conquers himself. ---Dhp 103
notself

Postby Ben » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:11 pm

Hi Casey
Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief

Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Tex » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:34 pm

Welcome, Casey.

Several of us are interested in Zen, too.

:sage:
"The serene and peaceful mind is the true epitome of human achievement."-- Ajahn Chah, Living Dhamma

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi
Tex

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:41 pm

Greetings Casey,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby BlackBird » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:42 am

Welcome friend
:anjali:
"And so, because this Teaching is so different from what Westerners are accustomed to, they will try to adapt the Teaching to their own framework. What they need to learn to do is not to adapt the Teaching to their own point of view but to adapt their own point of view to the Teaching. This is called saddhá, or faith, and it means giving oneself to the Teaching even if the Teaching is contrary to one’s own preconceived notions of the way things are."- Ven Bodhesako

Nanavira Thera's teachings - An existential approach to the Dhamma | Ven. Bodhesako's essay on anicca
BlackBird

Return to Introductions