Hi from TheDhamma

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.

Hi from TheDhamma

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:49 pm

Hello,

Most of you might know me from the current largest online forum, where my screen name was vipassana8.

I maintain several Dhamma websites, the main ones being:

http://www.TheDhamma.com/ and

http://www.DhammaWiki.com/

The latter is a Buddhist encyclopedia, focusing on the Theravada.

You can read my full bio here:

http://dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=David_N._Snyder

Ok, so fortunately, 'conceit' is one of the last hindrances to be relinquished completely so enough about me. ;D
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Re: Hi from TheDhamma

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:16 pm

Greetings David,

Thank you very much for establishing this site. I believe it has great potential.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby appicchato » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:11 am

Thank you David, it's good to be here...and a Happy New Year to you and your family...
appicchato

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:58 am

Thank you Bhante, Happy New Year to you too and glad to see the ordained Sangha here!
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:52 am

Hi David and thank you for hosting this site.
It is, indeed, a treasure.
Metta

Ben (ben oloughlin)
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby ShinMeiDokuJoh » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:54 pm

Hi David,

also from my part a big Thank You for hosting this site.

With best wishes
ShinMeiDokuJoh
Pali in Thai Script: http://paliinthaiscript.blogspot.com

Pali Sutta, Gatha and Paritta in Thai Script: http://sutta-sutra-pali-in-thai-script-lette.blogspot.com
ShinMeiDokuJoh

Postby thecap » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:00 pm

Cool site, thanks. 8-)
thecap

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:48 pm

:hello:

Hello everyone, it's just me. I changed my username from 'TheDhamma' to my actual name. I wasn't too sure about my original username and used it to refer to my website: http://www.TheDhamma.com/ but it can be confusing when someone says, "I'm not sure if I agree with TheDhamma." :tongue:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:52 pm

Nice 'nick' you've got TheDhamma!
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:54 pm

:tantrum: :computerproblem:

:jumping:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Annapurna » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:30 pm

Hi, David, I think you will always stay "TheDhamma" to me...! :tongue:

David N. Snyder was born in an apartment in Germany while his mother slept and his father was away on military maneuvers. His mother literally slept through the labor process as there was no pain to her. The Buddha was born in a similar way and the Suttas report that all samma-sam-buddhas (enlightened Buddhas who teach the masses) are born with no pain to the mother.

Really? Is that so? Amazing.

Hm...
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/
Annapurna

Postby pink_trike » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:04 pm

Annabel wrote:Hi, David, I think you will always stay "TheDhamma" to me...! :tongue:

David N. Snyder was born in an apartment in Germany while his mother slept and his father was away on military maneuvers. His mother literally slept through the labor process as there was no pain to her. The Buddha was born in a similar way and the Suttas report that all samma-sam-buddhas (enlightened Buddhas who teach the masses) are born with no pain to the mother.

Hm...

In those few remaining places of the world where people still live in harmony with the natural world (deep jungle tribes in South America, as an example) easy birth is still the norm...women commonly just stop whatever they're doing, squat and "drop" the the child, rest an hour or so, then return to normal life. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they too experienced giving birth during sleep.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:12 pm

pink_trike wrote:In those few remaining places of the world where people still live in harmony with the natural world (deep jungle tribes in South America, as an example) easy birth is still the norm...women commonly just stop whatever they're doing, squat and "drop" the the child, rest an hour or so, then return to normal life. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they too experienced giving birth during sleep.

I have heard that too. An acquaintance of mine who is a Shoshone (Native American tribe) said that the Shoshones will make every effort to have births done in this way (all the time). I'm not sure how they do it, but maybe it is the harmony with the natural world you refer to.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby jcsuperstar » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:17 am

according to my mom i was a painless birth too.. maybe thats why im the favorite :tongue:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby Dan74 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:36 am

Annabel wrote:Hi, David, I think you will always stay "TheDhamma" to me...! :tongue:

Hm...

Not only that but his initials DNS stand for Dhamma-n-Sangha, another sure sign...

_/|\_
_/|\_
Dan74

Postby Annapurna » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:22 pm

Amazing. I was also an easy birth...

The easiest my mother had, lasting only 3 hours....
I also always thought I came to them to help them get over the death of my brother...and so much I can say: They didn't have a spare minute to think of the past, with me around. :tongue:

I've been very happy with them.
Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:26 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:
pink_trike wrote:In those few remaining places of the world where people still live in harmony with the natural world (deep jungle tribes in South America, as an example) easy birth is still the norm...women commonly just stop whatever they're doing, squat and "drop" the the child, rest an hour or so, then return to normal life. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they too experienced giving birth during sleep.

I have heard that too. An acquaintance of mine who is a Shoshone (Native American tribe) said that the Shoshones will make every effort to have births done in this way (all the time). I'm not sure how they do it, but maybe it is the harmony with the natural world you refer to.

The Africans also. It is the best position for giving birth, except in warm water. On the back is not helpful.
Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:45 pm

pink_trike wrote:

Hm...

In those few remaining places of the world where people still live in harmony with the natural world (deep jungle tribes in South America, as an example) easy birth is still the norm...women commonly just stop whatever they're doing, squat and "drop" the the child, rest an hour or so, then return to normal life. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they too experienced giving birth during sleep.

Pink Trike, I've been meaning to tell you that I dreamt of you last night. It was a dhamma dream.

You came to Germany, visiting some German members, and on your way to Berlin.

You stopped by my place, and we all stayed at a place with a swimming pool, indoors. You had a small son, of 2-3 years. (I don't think you do real life) ;)

Anyhow, I was swimming around, when I suddenly saw a lifeless something under the surface, on my left side, grabbed it, and pulled it out. It was your son, seemingly dead.

I held him upside down,and squeezed the water out of his lungs, my hands on his chest and back, 3 times, but he didn't breathe, so I continued, until he drew in air,with an awful gasping sound, and then you came running towards me through the knee deep water, and I gave him to you.

I forgot to say, while I was holding him upside down, I screamed for help.

He was fine and you flew away to Berlin.

I was left feeling unspeakably happy.

The thought I had, which makes it a dhamma dream for me was, that I thought about the dhamma, and my kamma, and that I had the distinct feeling my kammic burden felt so much lighter, so much lighter.

I was so happy I was given a chance to save a life...

I'm sure you don't have a son, Pink Trike. :smile:

Btw, I also saw your face quite clearly. I made efforts to remember it,for later, when I'm awake.

If that isn't odd, isn't it?

That you know you're dreaming and the dhamma arises?
Annapurna

Return to Introductions