open

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.

open

Postby uptuyou » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:18 am

Hello fellow practitioners. I started meditating out of desperation in 1998. I suffered from cluster headaches
so bad Demerol wouldn't cover them up. I live in the rural mid-west and basically just bought a book on meditation and began experimenting. The headaches went away shortly afterward never to return. That was just a bonus! My life has changed dramatically since then.
I've tried many different types of meditation but settled on vipassana for whatever reason. It really doesn't matter now.
I don't even really know why I'm here other than to share & learn with others on the path. I don't know anyone personally that meditates at all; so this may be a good venue for me. I picked up a copy of Tricycle magazine the other day. It is a worth while read it seems.
I practice mindfulness whenever I remember and I have reverted to doing one thing at a time anymore; paying more attention to what is unfolding in the moment. I don't read and eat, work and listen to the radio (I work alone) etc.
I just keep working at becoming!

gus
Profundity lies in the silence between the words.
uptuyou

Re: open

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:18 am

:bow:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

S. N. Goenka ( http://www.dhamma.org/ ) cured his headaches with vipassana (meditation) as well. There are some here who have been to his world-famous 10 day retreats.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby cooran » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:05 am

Hello uptuyou,

Welcome!

Lots of us came to the Dhamma via meditation to relieve some form of either physical or mental suffering. Probably the majority of us.

So - you're in good company.

Enjoy the list.

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:08 am

Greetings Gus,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:12 am

Hi Welcome to dhammawheel
:anjali:
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Return to Introductions