Greetings

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.

Greetings

Postby orangemod » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:49 am

Hi;

Thank you for having me. My name is Dave.
Briefly, I lost my Father & a year later my Sister...struggled with addiction and had some unpleasant changes in my life. Unhappiness became the norm for me.
I realized my "old ways" were not working for me anymore. Full of anger, attachments, addictions and general negative thoughts, I was very unhappy.
I searched and luckily found Buddhism teachings. I turned my Mom onto meditation and Buddhism as well.
We both have benefited greatly !!!
I know meditation is to be "practiced" like any other learned skill....but I must say that after only a few weeks my attitude towards myself and others has made a huge change.
So, I will be here to humbly ask for help and suggestions.
Thank you for having me.
Cheers, Dave
orangemod

Re: Greetings

Postby catmoon » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:02 am

Sorry to hear you are having a tough time. May you find comfort here.
catmoon

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:50 am

:hello:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

Glad you found this path to freedom!
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:54 am

Hi Dave
Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
I hope you find some illumination here as well as some wholesome companionship on the path.
metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief

Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby BlackBird » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:14 am

Hi Dave

Dhamma Wheel has a couple of important virtues.

- I've been around a few forums over the years and Dhammawheel without a doubt has the best moderation team I have seen.
- There are numerous members here who's advice is well worth listening to, because they really know their stuff. In my opinion if you ask a question here you're more than likely to get good response.

If you stick around and read the forums and links that get posted it's quite easy to get grounded in conceptual Buddhist doctrine, which is an important part of the pie. The other important part is the practice - developing virtue, concentration, and insight through observing the nature of things.

Glad to hear you've made it to the path, hope your efforts continue to be fruitful.

with metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:41 am

Greetings Dave,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:40 am

:anjali:
Wlcome to Dhammawheel
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby orangemod » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:10 pm

Well....thank you all for the kind words and encouragement !!!

Truthfully, maybe 10 years ago I would have thought meditation some kinda silly trendy thing that "trendy" people do to fit in somehow.
I was quite deluded and close-minded.
I'm here to say, meditation has brought so much good to my Mom's life as well as mine. Buddhist teaching has changed me and my "core" attitudes towards others as well as situations.
Before my Dad passed away, he charged me with the responsibility of helping my Mom move on with her life after he is gone. Until I discovered Buddhism & meditation, progress for her was painfully slow. She had no "tools" to cope...now she does.
Of course I feel very fortunate to meet y'all and just to have found Buddhism.
Happy New Year to y'all.

Cheers, Dave
orangemod

Return to Introductions