Mahayanist Here. Please be Open-minded...!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.

Mahayanist Here. Please be Open-minded...!

Postby Buddha's Dancer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:25 pm

Dear Fortunate Friends

I am more like a Mahayana practitioner of the Bodhisattva path to Buddhahood for the sake of all sentient ones, and less like a Theravada practitioner following the path of arhatship or shravakahood or pratyekahood or individual nirbana. However, in my collection of texts I have the complete set of all 5 nikayas, all the vinaya texts and all the Abhidhamma texts published in English and Pali, all the extra-canonical Theravada, all the Mahayana sutras and shastras, all the Vajrayana texts and commentaries - in short, all the teachings which fall under the 9 vehicle system of the Nyingma sect of Tibetan Buddhism.

So please, be open minded. In the Nyingma sect of Tibetan Buddhism, there are 9 vehicles, from the Shravaka, Pratyekabuddha of Theravada all the way up to the actual enlightenment of the Tathagata which is the highest vehicle (in the Nyingma house, this is called rDzogs chen - the Great Perfection). And they are all holy and revered by the Nyingma pas. However, the only difference is that they don't say that ONLY this or that vehicle is the one they seek - they actually, like the Buddha, like them all.

So please, like me, don't judge harshly because someone likes Theravada, AND Mahayana, and Vajrayana. Because I have love for everything the Buddha taught.

Best wishes
Last edited by Buddha's Dancer on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buddha's Dancer

Re: Mahayanist Here. Please be Open-minded...!

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:33 pm

:hello:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

Don't forget to also join our sister site: http://www.dharmawheel.net/ which focuses on the Mahayana (including Vajrayana).
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:59 pm

Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

Sounds like one interesting collection of scripture you have there.

:reading:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:52 pm

Hi & Welcome
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby meindzai » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:03 am

Don't worry, we love Mahayanists. {stirs a boiling pot while reading his copy of "How to Serve Mahayanists") :stirthepot:

:)

-M
meindzai

Postby bodom » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:08 am

Welcome! I have great respect for Mahayana especially the old zen masters :sage:

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby LauraJ » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:22 am

Hi, and welcome! I too am a Mahayana (Vajrayana) person and I enjou Dhammawheel very much. You are in good company here :)

As was mentioned, the owners of Dhammawheel kindly created a forum for Mahayana folks to exchange too.

Dharma Wheel

But there are so many good people and precious gems for anyone at this site, so enjoy!

Kind wishes,
Laura
Dharma Wheel
Buddha Blog

Conquer the angry man by love. Conquer the ill-natured man by goodness. Conquer the miser with generosity. Conquer the liar with truth. -The Dhammapada
LauraJ

Postby Buddha's Dancer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:26 am

Thanks one and all for your friendly metta.
:]
Buddha's Dancer

Postby Ben » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:01 am

Hi BD
Welcome to Dhamma Wheel. Its a friendly place here and I'm sure you'll feel at home.
metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Heraclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:09 am

Welcome.

Stay awhile, ask a question or two or maybe three and you might find that the Theravada does not quite fit this statement of yours: ". . .there are 9 vehicles, from the Shravaka, Pratyekabuddha of Theravada all the way up to the actual enlightenment of the Tathagata. . . ." Always something to learn, to explore.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Monkey Mind » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:22 am

meindzai wrote:Don't worry, we love Mahayanists. {stirs a boiling pot while reading his copy of "How to Serve Mahayanists") :stirthepot:

-M

I heard they taste like chicken. But then I am trying to be a veggie, so ....

Welcome,
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Monkey Mind

Postby Mawkish1983 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:15 am

tiltbillings wrote:Welcome.

Stay awhile, ask a question or two or maybe three and you might find that the Theravada does not quite fit this statement of yours: ". . .there are 9 vehicles, from the Shravaka, Pratyekabuddha of Theravada all the way up to the actual enlightenment of the Tathagata. . . ." Always something to learn, to explore.

I was thinking the same thing :) but also, is the implication that we are not open minded? I'm easily confused :)
Mawkish1983

Postby BlackBird » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:27 am

meindzai wrote:Don't worry, we love Mahayanists. {stirs a boiling pot while reading his copy of "How to Serve Mahayanists") :stirthepot:

-M

Hah
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby Annapurna » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:37 am

Welcome!
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/
Annapurna

Postby Sanghamitta » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:02 pm

Mawkish1983 wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Welcome.

I was thinking the same thing :) but also, is the implication that we are not open minded? I'm easily confused :)

Peter Sellers " We are all open minded here"
Spike Milligan " Oh yes I can see right inside your brain".
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby Thales » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:14 pm

Buddha's Dancer wrote:...they don't say that ONLY this or that vehicle is the one they seek - they actually, like the Buddha, like them all....
So please, like me, don't judge harshly because someone likes Theravada, AND Mahayana, and Vajrayana. Because I have love for everything the Buddha taught.

Welcome!

I do not judge you for liking all three schools, but obviously which schools the Buddha actually taught is controversial..
:anjali:
"Just as the ocean has a single taste, the taste of salt, so this Dhamma and Discipline has a single taste, the taste of release."

~Ud 5.5
Thales

Return to Introductions