Hello =), new to buddhism

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Eyedea
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Hello =), new to buddhism

Postby Eyedea » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:21 pm

Hi my name is Jorge Hernandez, I am from the United States and have been interested in Buddhism for a long time. i was raised Catholic and then converted to Christianity;however, I did not like the judgmental aspects of these religions. First in foremost i was interested in life, peacefulness, and non-attachment to material things, which led me to Buddhism, I am currently reading a online pdf of the Dhammapada; however I do not know where else to go afterwards?

retrofuturist
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Re: Hello =), new to buddhism

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:27 pm

Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

There's a good library of possible resources, suitable for beginners at

Buddhanet E-Library (General)
http://www.buddhanet.net/ftp03.htm

Here we also have a "Discovering Theravada" section, where beginners are welcome to ask whatever questions they like, so don't be shy in taking up that opportunity.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:34 pm

:hello:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:38 pm

Welcome, Eyedea :smile:

Retro's suggestions are good. You might also like the self-guided tour of the Buddha's teachings http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/index.html on Access to Insight.
Access to Insight is a wonderful resource: lots of scriptures in reliable translations, and lots of good dhamma books.
:namaste:
Kim

bodom
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Postby bodom » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:10 pm

Welcome Jorge.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah

Virgo

Postby Virgo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:30 am

Dear Jorge, welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

kevin

Eyedea

Postby Eyedea » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:30 am

Thank you all, I am very happy to find a new way of thinking and hopefully enlightenment

I have to ask you all, and im sure is been asked alot, but what are the changes you have seen before and after you converted to Buddhism?

plwk

Postby plwk » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:54 am

Hi my name is Jorge Hernandez

:namaste: :hello:
i was raised Catholic and then converted to Christianity...

:jumping: Isn't Roman Catholicism a branch of Christianity, like the Eastern Orthodox and Protestants? That 'born again' thingy huh :tongue:
For me, I started off with Protestant Christianity (largely due to family tradition) and then to Roman Catholicism
I am currently reading a online pdf of the Dhammapada; however I do not know where else to go afterwards?

THE BUDDHA AND HIS TEACHINGS
What Buddhists Believe
Buddhism for the Modern Skeptic
What Buddha Taught
...but what are the changes you have seen before and after you converted to Buddhism?

Most discernible one...I stopped relying on 'God' for my 'salvation'
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page

Eyedea

Postby Eyedea » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:49 am

plwk wrote:
Hi my name is Jorge Hernandez

:namaste: :hello:
i was raised Catholic and then converted to Christianity...

:jumping: Isn't Roman Catholicism a branch of Christianity, like the Eastern Orthodox and Protestants? That 'born again' thingy huh :tongue:
For me, I started off with Protestant Christianity (largely due to family tradition) and then to Roman Catholicism
I am currently reading a online pdf of the Dhammapada; however I do not know where else to go afterwards?

THE BUDDHA AND HIS TEACHINGS
What Buddhists Believe
Buddhism for the Modern Skeptic
What Buddha Taught
...but what are the changes you have seen before and after you converted to Buddhism?

Most discernible one...I stopped relying on 'God' for my 'salvation'

that is what i thought as well, people sometimes use God to excuse their actions or to simply act nicely to others, I dont really think you need a "God" to teach you to be humane. I didnt see it as a "born again" thing, primarily its more of a what suited me the best,

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:51 am

Greetings Eyedea,

Eyedea wrote:I have to ask you all, and im sure is been asked alot, but what are the changes you have seen before and after you converted to Buddhism?

Check out the Personal Experience forum... you might find some interesting answers in there.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)

Return to “Introductions”