Nice to meet all of you, and would like some guidence

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
j76bravo

Nice to meet all of you, and would like some guidence

Post by j76bravo »

Hello, my name is John, I currently reside in the US, Texas to be exact. I'm new to the whole Buddhist way of life and I've always been interested in devoting my chi into being one with the world. My issue is knowing the mantras for certain occasions. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. Go with peace my brothers and sisters.
plwk

Re: Nice to meet all of you, and would like some guidence

Post by plwk »

:hello:

As far as I know in Theravada, there are no 'mantras' in the sense of the word used. It's mainly recitation of scriptural verses for various occasions and one sample is the Paritta. However having said that, it is also apparent that in 'popular/cultural' Theravada Buddhism, one may find that certain scriptural verses or poetic verses (gatha or commonly spelt as 'katha') are treated like mantras in countries like Thailand and South East Asia for numerous occasions and prescribed methods.

However, there are 2 other streams of Buddhism that employs the usage of mantras for various occasions: Mahayana and Vajrayana where the sister site is http://www.dharmawheel.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and you can get the appropriate responses from the Buddhist brethren there.

Check out this: Introductory Resources

Enjoy :smile:
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome John!

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

The nearest we have to a mantram in the Theravada is " Buddho".
It isnt strictly speaking a mantram though because no one claims that it functions as meta language.
It works as an effective focus for awareness.
Strive

Post by Strive »

Welcome friend,

:anjali:
"Faith is here a man's best treasure;
Dhamma practised well brings happiness;
Truth is really the sweetest of tastes;
One living by wisdom they say lives best."--Bhikkhu Bodhi's Samyutta Nikaya, Sagathavagga verse 853