Greetings from Bedfordshire

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
octobersun79

Greetings from Bedfordshire

Post by octobersun79 »

I'm Caroline and I live in Bedford, in sunny England. I've had an interest in Buddhism for around three or four years now. Up until this year I've not been in the position to really dedicate some time to the dharma (mainly because of my work and family commitments), although I've been on retreat a few times, gone to meditation sessions, mediated alone, read a bit and live by the 5 precepts. I also was so privilaged to see the Daili Lama in Nottingham (once in a lifetime opportunity) However, I still do not consider myself a real Buddhist yet.. whatever that means.

I'm a single parent to two lovely kids, one is on the Autistic spectrum - so life can be challenging at times. I live in Bedford where there is a Buddhist circle, which is lovely. Some of the people there are Buddhists and some are not and I enjoy going when I can.

The problem is, that I do not have any Buddhist friends to chew over ideas, realisations, learning and all that with - I'm not saying I'm dependent on it, but it would be nice to know I'm on the right path, or for someone to challenge me everynow and then. Bedford seems to have a Buddhist shortage (maybe they are stockpiling in London and Birmingham!).

As I'm a mother, I'm limited to where I can go, so I'm joining this group as I am ready now to dedicate my time to going a bit deeper than the superfical clothing of a label of Buddhist and transforming myself.

Caroline ;-)
cooran

Re: Greetings from Bedfordshire

Post by cooran »

Welcome Caroline!

Hope you find support and companionship on Dhamma Wheel.

I, too, have respect for the Dalai Lama and will be going to the Happiness Conference in Brisbane Australia where he will be appearing later in the year.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Cal

Post by Cal »

Hi Caroline,

If you do find chance to travel a little further, not sure if you're aware that Amaravati Buddhist Monastery is only about 30 miles from Bedford. It's just north of Hemel Hempstead. This is the main UK retreat centre for the Ajan Chah/Forest Sangha monasteries, which are in the Theravada tradition.
http://www.amaravati.org/abmnew/index.php

I live a similar distance from the Forest Sangha monastery at Chithurst, W.Sussex, and find the occasional brief visits I'm able to make there very uplifting.

Dhamma Wheel is very helpful too.

Best wishes
Cal
Right Speech: It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will. [AN 5.198]

Personally, I seem to gain the most insight when I am under the most pressure, when life is at its most unpleasant. There is something in me on those occasions which feels that there is nothing left but to be aware of 'this'. Ajahn Sumedho - Don't Take Your Life Personally, p288
octobersun79

Post by octobersun79 »

Thanks Chris, all I can say about the DL is the atmosphere was electric!

Cal, I have looked on their website funnily enough today - all of their retreats are booked up (for nearly the whole year!). I've been to the Forest Hermitage a few times (also Ajan Chah) in Warwick, which is a lovely retreat. I'll keep my eyes peeled on their events though - thanks :thanks:
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome Caroline!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Caroline

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel. You will find that there are other members of Dhamma Wheel in comparable situations to yourself. I hope you find here some level of companionship and inspiration.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Caroline,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
octobersun79

Post by octobersun79 »

Thank you for the kind welcomes :-)
Alba

Post by Alba »

Hi Caroline

I live in Bedford and looking for a Buddhist centre I found your post here. Did you ever find a place here in Buddhist place in town? I would really like to join one as very interested ....

Please let me know if you have an information

Cheers

Alba

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Welcome Caroline!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com