Greetings

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
sukhamanveti

Greetings

Post by sukhamanveti »

Hello. :smile:

I posted a few times at E-Sangha and then came across this forum by accident. I am a lay follower of the Buddha, living in Illinois in the U.S. At this time I am studying and practicing Theravada on my own. I am grateful for a forum like this.

One of the things that drew me to Theravada is that a surprising number of the core teachings are truths that anyone can observe right now: All compounded/ conditioned things are impermanent. They are subject to change. Whatever arises ceases. All compounded/ conditioned things are unsatisfactory (dukkha) in that temporary, finite things do not bring ultimate fulfillment, do not consistently conform to our wishes, and cause us pain if we cling to them when they cease. All things are not an independently-existing, immutable Self. Craving and attachment cause pain. Ill will is a form of suffering. Suffering and happiness arise in dependence upon causes and conditions. And so on…

I love the emphasis on verification in Theravada: that the Dhamma invites us to come and see (ehipassiko) for ourselves, that we can, in principle at least, come to know and see the truth of the full range of the original teachings directly by experience, that the Buddha challenged the monks to investigate him to see if he had really eradicated the defilements within his mind (MN 47), etc.

I look forward to conversing with you all.

Best regards.

Ed

P.S.: For those who don’t know: My username, sukhamanveti, is a quotation from verse 2 of the Pali Dhammapada: “happiness follows.” (“If one speaks or acts with a pure mind, happiness follows like a shadow never departing.”)
Sīlaṃ balaṃ appaṭimaṃ.
Sīlaṃ āvudhamuttamaṃ.
Sīlamābharaṇaṃ seṭṭhaṃ.
Sīlaṃ kavacamabbhutaṃ.

Virtue is a matchless power.
Virtue is the greatest weapon.
Virtue is the best adornment.
Virtue is a wonderful armor.

Theragatha 614

Sabbapāpassa akaraṇaṃ,
kusalassa upasampadā,
Sacittapariyodapanaṃ,
etaṃ buddhāna sāsanaṃ.

Refraining from all wrong-doing,
Undertaking the good,
Purifying the mind,
This is the teaching of the buddhas.

Dhammapada v. 183/14.5
tiltbillings

Re: Greetings

Post by tiltbillings »

Welcome
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings and welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Ed,

Welcome. I'm glad you found us. :smile:

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
phil

Post by phil »

Hi Ed

Welcome aboard.

May we all develop our minds so that we are followed by that shadow you refer to rather than being churned through the mud forever and ever like that wheel in the accompanying verse! tato nam dukkham anvheti/ cakkam va vahato puddam (that's a rough transcription from memory, anyone looking for correct Pali in it beware! :smile:

Metta,

Phil
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

:hello:
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
thornbush

Post by thornbush »

Rui Sousa

Post by Rui Sousa »

Welcome !
With Metta