YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Hot Topics: Atheist Quotes - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

Hot Topics: Atheist Quotes

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
manas

Re: Hot Topics: Atheist Quotes

Postby manas » Wed May 02, 2012 2:33 am

Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Wed May 02, 2012 2:34 am

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed May 02, 2012 4:03 am

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Wed May 02, 2012 4:29 am

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Wed May 02, 2012 6:31 am

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Wed May 02, 2012 6:34 am

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed May 02, 2012 6:44 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Sarva

Postby Sarva » Wed May 02, 2012 8:38 am

“Both formerly & now, it is only stress that I describe, and the cessation of stress.” — SN 22:86

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed May 02, 2012 4:19 pm

Sarva

Postby Sarva » Wed May 02, 2012 8:06 pm

“Both formerly & now, it is only stress that I describe, and the cessation of stress.” — SN 22:86

manas

Postby manas » Wed May 02, 2012 8:27 pm

I recall this quote where the Buddha said "do not judge others. Only I, or one like me, is fit to judge..." (please correct this if I recall it wrongly.) I was thinking about this in relation to the notion that 'because the Buddha himself sometimes ridiculed the beliefs of the theistic Brahmins, so too it's fine for us to poke fun at the beliefs of modern-day theists' (no-one has directly said this, but this is what I'm picking up here). But is it, really? The Buddha was the figurehead of a new religion (of sorts), and yes he had a bit to say about the other religions of the time, but I do not think he advocated his followers to engage in such ridicule. I think it was the Buddha's prerogative, but not ours.

Furthermore I wish to again clarify that my comment regarding materialism and reductionism having influenced the perception of what I called 'Western Buddhism' was not directed specifically at anyone here, it was a general issue that, as I pointed out, I even sense in myself.

I'm also hoping that a follower of some other religion doesn't google 'Buddhist forum' and somehow land in the 'Athiest Quotes' section! I think that it would be unfortunate if that was their first impression of our Path. A humble suggestion is that the topic itself be only viewable by members of DW? After all, we are kind of representing the Dhamma (in the virtual sphere), maybe we need to be careful in that regard.

I am growing weary of arguing, and so with metta to all here, Buddhists and non-Buddhists alike, I'm signing off on this one

_/I\_
Last edited by manas on Wed May 02, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed May 02, 2012 8:49 pm

No problemo. Thanks for offering your opinions.

All posts in that Atheist quotes thread in the Open Dhamma Hot Topics are reviewed and for the record, there have been some posts that were not approved. Most of you wouldn't know that because it is behind the scenes info among the moderating staff. If a post is a joke and goes too far or is offensive, it is not approved.

Peace to all; all religionists, non-religionists, theists, and atheists.

:meditate:

Buckwheat

Postby Buckwheat » Sat May 05, 2012 3:24 pm

Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat May 05, 2012 3:44 pm

The 'board' was never closed. This seems to be a common misconception. The topic simply moved to the Open Dhamma Hot Topics section so that we could moderate the posts so that they remain on topic, not meta-discussion (we have this one and several others for discussing the topic) and not for posts that are inappropriate. If it were not in the Hot Topics section, some posts that are offensive might remain until a moderator logs-in to see it.

As I mentioned previously, there have been posts which were not approved. It is not as if every post is allowed to go through. The offensive ones have been disapproved. As well as those that were off-topic.

Buckwheat

Postby Buckwheat » Sat May 05, 2012 3:54 pm

Posts indicating that Gandhi, Thomas Jefferson, and Mother Teresa were not in fact atheists are offensive / off-topic?

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat May 05, 2012 3:59 pm

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat May 05, 2012 4:02 pm

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sat May 05, 2012 6:41 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Buckwheat

Postby Buckwheat » Sat May 05, 2012 9:48 pm

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat May 05, 2012 10:05 pm

Return to “Suggestion box”