Too many male mods here and no woman section

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Annapurna

Too many male mods here and no woman section

Post by Annapurna »

Hello,

How about having more female mods here?

Right now, women are underrepresented...

And how about getting a protected area for women here, like in E Sangha, however small, an area where female members cnas share some women issues in an atmosphere that we decide, perhaps we self-moderate sisterly, an area where men and male mods are heartily invited guests, to read and participate, but not welcome to domineer any discussions, as it is can happen now?

Sensitive topics would certainly benefit.

I would also like to thank all of you men here, who posted in the Tribute thread for the Indian girl with such great compassion, sensitivity and consideration, you are all wonderful and what you said was heart warming, -I thank you very, very much.

I am sure all misunderstandings can be resolved eventually, so let me just say, here:

Thank you, all.

Annelie
Annapurna

Re: Too many male mods here and no woman section

Post by Annapurna »

And OF COURSE thanks to all of you ladies here as well, that goes without saying. :hug:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Annapurna wrote:How about having more female mods here?
can men?
And how many women participate on the forum?
And how about getting a protected area for women here, like in E Sangha, however small, an area where female members cnas share some women issues in an atmosphere that we decide, perhaps we self-moderate sisterly, an area where men and male mods are heartily invited guests, to read and participate, but not welcome to domineer any discussions, as it is can happen now?
do women really need some special favour and protection here?
males are the vast member base on the forum (to my knowledge) so there is no domineering just participation by members as far as I am aware.
How?
I am sure all misunderstandings can be resolved eventually, so let me just say, here:
what misunderstanding are only down to the persons sex.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

I need a break from this forum, I am utterly disappointed of the replies.

Good bye, Dhammawheel.
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Annapurna, I don't understand. I was politely asked to stop the conversation on the other thread, which I did out of respect for the girl for whom the thread was started, yet others, including yourself, carried it on.

I have read and reread your posts to me and it's clear you have no respect for me at all. I saw the passive aggressive digs. Clearly me being male is part of the reason you find me so unpleasant. What precisely is it you want from me (or us as a gender)?
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Annapurna wrote:

How about having more female mods here?

As a woman myself I'm wondering why women would need a "protected area" ? If women have to have a special area why not have similar areas for lesbian, gay and transgendered members as well ----and also for teenagers and....perhaps for vegetarians?

I think women can be just as domineering in discussions as men if they want to be - and personally its no problem for me to interact with others on a forum whatever their sexuality happens to be.

Just a personal opinion though.

with metta

Aloka :)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Annapurna wrote:I need a break from this forum, I am utterly disappointed of the replies.

Good bye, Dhammawheel.
Why is being questioned disappointing?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
robertk

Post by robertk »

It might be a good idea to have a women's section.
The admin will no doubt discuss this in the near future.
For now I will lock this topic until word comes down from higher up.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Annapurna wrote:How about having more female mods here?
Moderators are not selected because of their gender.
No, that is not right.
the woman's forum on e-sangha was an unmitigated disaster. I have received communication from a number of members regarding your suggestion and have not been in favour of a women's forum - and they were from female members. Their views coincide with my own that women do not need to be segregated from men on Dhamma Wheel.
Sensitive topics would benefit from members not engaging in personal attacks, by respecting others and by abiding by the terms of service. If one is so heavily emotionally involved in a topic, then its best not to participate in that discussion.

Thank you for your suggestion Annapurna, but unless there is a groundswell of support from the membership and consensus among the mods and admins, its unlikely to materialize.

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Pax

Post by Pax »

This place is small enough that I don't completely see the need for a separate women only forum. That said, I do understand Annapurnas request. Women do see things from a different perspective and we are often on the outside of many conversations.

The thread about the young Indian woman who died so horrifically, instead of being a springboard for a broader understanding of the fears we, as women, live with... it became a place where some males felt the need to press their point, that of being discriminated against. In a world run by men, where their needs, desires, wants, perspectives, and privilege is the baseline of human existence; this seems at the least, insensitive.

I don't expect my thoughts to change a single heart, if someone has chosen to take offense they will most likely remain encamped there. But remember this, most of you will never walk in fear, never wonder if the rowdy group of young men will hurt you, never wonder why your uncle/family friend/brother/cousin thinks it's okay to force you into sex against your will. You won't experience this. I have.
SDC

Post by SDC »

We shouldn't make any changes that perpetuate our differences.

Our differences don't mean anything, and shouldn't mean anything.

Let's all agree on this - certain topics are touchy. No matter how clever you think you're being, no matter how righteous your intention, it is likely your words may not be accepted by all involved. Be ready for the consequences or, dare I say, DON'T POST.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

:goodpost:

There's certain topics I won't touch with a bargepole. You know the kind I mean - the ones that no matter what you say, someone is going to project their dissatisfaction with the world onto you.

One bitten, twice shy.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

Ben wrote:
Annapurna wrote:And how about getting a protected area for women here, like in E Sangha, however small, an area where female members cnas share some women issues in an atmosphere that we decide, perhaps we self-moderate sisterly, an area where men and male mods are heartily invited guests, to read and participate, but not welcome to domineer any discussions, as it is can happen now?
the woman's forum on e-sangha was an unmitigated disaster. I have received communication from a number of members regarding your suggestion and have not been in favour of a women's forum - and they were from female members. Their views coincide with my own that women do not need to be segregated from men on Dhamma Wheel.
If not a separate protected area for women (which could include non-Buddhist topics), I am strongly in favor of a forum "Women in Buddhism" (or something like that) which covers only the topics about women in Buddhism.
:anjali:
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

How about one for Asian Buddhists? and one for Youths? Unless it serves a clearly identifiable purpose, I don't see good reason to divide and subdivide ourselves. When posting here, I don't even notice the gender behind the monikers used.
plwk

Post by plwk »