Bump topic?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
equilibrium

Bump topic?

Post by equilibrium »

Some threads have "Bump topic" at the bottom of the thread itself.....what does this mean?
Thanks in advance.
Aloka

Re: Bump topic?

Post by Aloka »

equilibrium wrote:Some threads have "Bump topic" at the bottom of the thread itself.....what does this mean?
Thanks in advance.
"Bumping" something usually means sending it up to the top of a list.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Aloka wrote:
equilibrium wrote:Some threads have "Bump topic" at the bottom of the thread itself.....what does this mean?
Thanks in advance.
"Bumping" something usually means sending it up to the top of a list.
... so that people like me, who come to DW via the active topics view http://www.dhammawheel.com/search.php?s ... ive_topics will see it again and think, "yeah, I was going to respond to that ..."
:thinking:

Kim
equilibrium

Post by equilibrium »

yes.....but not every thread gets the bump topic.....so who decides a thread gets the bump topic and why?
fig tree

Post by fig tree »

equilibrium wrote:yes.....but not every thread gets the bump topic.....so who decides a thread gets the bump topic and why?
If the topic is still open, anybody can cause it to show up again for others (in a chronological list of topics) by replying to it.

Sometimes people reply with a message that only says something like "bump topic" because they want you to know that that is why they are replying to it, they have nothing else to say yet, and don't want to waste your time reading something like, "Hey folks, this thread was such a cool thread, have a look at it."

Sometimes they think the topic is worth rereading, sometimes they want people who weren't here when the thread was active to read it, and sometimes they think there was a question that deserved more of a reply but might be about to be forgotten because nobody has replied to it for a while.

Fig Tree
equilibrium

Post by equilibrium »

Under FAQ: How do I bump my topic?
By clicking the “Bump topic” link when you are viewing it, you can “bump” the topic to the top of the forum on the first page. However, if you do not see this, then topic bumping may be disabled or the time allowance between bumps has not yet been reached. It is also possible to bump the topic simply by replying to it, however, be sure to follow the board rules when doing so.

If a topic is still opened then one can simply reply to bump it to the top of the list.....what happens if it is locked?

Am not sure if you know what I mean.....it is the "bump topic logo" shown per attached images.....one is a open thread, one is locked thread.

So who decides which thread gets the bump logo?

Last bumped by equilibrium on Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:39 am.