Long threads

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.

Long threads

Postby SarathW » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:08 am

I just wonder whether some threads are too long.
I have some reluctance to read long threads such as Great Vegetarian Debate thinking that I just jumping to the middle of a discussion without reading prior posts.
Perhaps you can start a new link say, Great Vegetarian debate 2 and link to Debate 1.
:shrug:
SarathW

Re: Long threads

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:13 am

No, because there will be too much repetition. Most of the posts are fairly short. It is best if they are all in one place and not a bunch of threads discussing the same things, same points, over and over.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:15 am

I think the solution is to allow threads to remain separate for a few weeks before appending them to the generic long threads. New members may ask old questions, and just pointing them to the old thread without answering their question at all is not very friendly.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Kim OHara » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:32 am

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I think the solution is to allow threads to remain separate for a few weeks before appending them to the generic long threads. New members may ask old questions, and just pointing them to the old thread without answering their question at all is not very friendly.

That often happens in practice, with newcomers starting threads which are later folded into the catch-all topic. It seems to work okay.
"A few weeks" may be too long for the new thread's separate existence, depending how busy it is. Perhaps "a few pages" would be better?

:coffee:
Kim
Kim OHara

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:52 am

If it's busy, all the more reason to leave it separate, so a few weeks is probably better than a few pages. If there's just one or two replies, and the OP is apparently happy to read the linked thread, then they might as well be merged.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby dharmagoat » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:04 am

Few would disagree that the main function of a discussion forum is discussion. Even if the answers to a particular question or line of inquiry already exist buried in an archived thread, it seems unfair to expect any member, new or old, to be satisfied with reading through the past discussions of often unknown posters, as one would an encyclopedia.

The information received from asking your own questions is always more relevant and more personal, and there is also the bonus of being able to interact with other members. Through interacting with others, we not only experience how others see things, but we also learn a lot about ourselves.

The old threads on forums such as Dhamma Wheel and Dharma Wheel are excellent resources, but they are no substitute for personal involvement.
dharmagoat

Postby SarathW » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:35 am

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I think the solution is to allow threads to remain separate for a few weeks before appending them to the generic long threads. New members may ask old questions, and just pointing them to the old thread without answering their question at all is not very friendly.

I had the same concern.
:group:
SarathW

Return to Suggestion box