Fixed Thinking Emoticon

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
samseva

Fixed Thinking Emoticon

Post by samseva »

The thinking emoticon has a white background, which doesn't go well with the yellow and especially the orange background of the forums, so I edited it to make the background transparent.

http://dhammawheel.com/images/smilies/thinking.gif
Rename to thinking_original.gif

Upload the following file in the same folder.
thinking.gif
thinking.gif (1.56 KiB) Viewed 4049 times
Ben

Re: Fixed Thinking Emoticon

Post by Ben »

I'm not a fan of emoticons, in fact I would be happy if they were all disappeared. However, I understand some people like them. I'll leave it to David to upload your edited file.
Thanks for your efforts,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

I initially misunderstood the title of this thread. You mean that you have fixed the emoticon that denotes "thinking". I took it to mean that someone had introduced a new emoticon that means "fixed, rigid thinking - adherence to views", etc.

This probably applies to me, so I'm a bit disappointed now.
samseva

Post by samseva »

Ben wrote:I'm not a fan of emoticons, in fact I would be happy if they were all disappeared. However, I understand some people like them. I'll leave it to David to upload your edited file.
Thanks for your efforts,
Ben
You can disable emoticons by going to the User Control Panel (click name in the top right corner), Board preferences tab, Edit posting defaults, Enable smilies by default, No. Then Edit display options, Display smilies as images, No.
Ben

Post by Ben »

samseva wrote:
Ben wrote:I'm not a fan of emoticons, in fact I would be happy if they were all disappeared. However, I understand some people like them. I'll leave it to David to upload your edited file.
Thanks for your efforts,
Ben
You can disable emoticons by going to the User Control Panel (click name in the top right corner), Board preferences tab, Edit posting defaults, Enable smilies by default, No. Then Edit display options, Display smilies as images, No.
Thanks Sam,
But it wouldn't be enough to free myself from smilies knowing that others continued to suffer.
Kind regards,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
perkele

Post by perkele »

Haha, yes, I thought the same, that it would be about fixed, rigid thinking.

Don't be disappointed though. I think such an emoticon could have a strong insulting force: "Your thinking is rigid and limited... !"

This one, :thinking:, however, I find to be one of the best, since it is mostly used to convey some kind of a diplomatic message. *not sure* As a kind of fix to a possible fixed mode thinking, so to speak. :P

So thanks for fixing it!

I had also noticed this already for some quite longt time, and I always thought "Ah, that would be so easy to fix...", but... no idea to "just do it". Very good that someone has finally done it.
samseva

Post by samseva »

This is not a pressing change, but is there an update?
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The "thinking" emoticon looks like it's rolling its eyes; I'm not a fan :thinking:
perkele

Post by perkele »

Nicolas wrote:The "thinking" emoticon looks like it's rolling its eyes; I'm not a fan :thinking:
Of course, that is quite possible to use it in that way, too.
I have also used it in that way sometimes, but also in the other way.

One could also reflect on one's fixed mode of thinking about this or that emoticon, depending on the context, when reading or writing a message, from time to time. So there are many opportunities here for practice with this.

:thinking:
samseva wrote:This is not a pressing change, but is there an update?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

fixed
samseva

Post by samseva »

David N. Snyder wrote: :thinking:

fixed