Why is there so much hostility on Dhamma Wheel?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
subaru

Re: Why is there so much hostility on Dhamma Wheel?

Post by subaru »

chataranga wrote:But there are always that 10% that seem quite nasty.

Yes very true.

At the risk of being mis-understood... (But I suspect a great many people here can understand me) , I would like to share my views on the 'nasty people'..

As long as I have not attained liberation, there is no guarantee that I will not become 'nasty' myself in the future...
So here and now, what should I do when I encounter these 'nasty' people?
Should I aspire not to become 'nasty'? <--- I doubt I can if I still have defilement, even if I can become nice, it's not a worthy goal for me to become nice/pleasant/sociable while having latent defilement imo

Therefore my aspiration is not to become nice... but instead :
1) to try attain liberation ; failing which
2) try reduce defiled thoughts from arising; failing which
3) try reduce defiled words from manifesting; failing which
4) try reduce defiled actions from manifesting; failing which
5) to fully realize/understand that when I reap the bad kamma-vipaka in the future (or see nasty sankhara's arise to haunt me, hohoho) , is it partly because of my failures above; therefore I have motivation to try harder; failing which
6) Hello woeful states of consciousness..... here I come (again) hohoho

** as usual; no references to the scriptures provided... take my opinion as is; and use your own discretion **
:candle:
samseva

Post by samseva »

I hope this wasn't taken too seriously. I was simply trying to rouse a bit of mindfulness to make the forum an even better place. Sorry if it created any disturbance.
The Thinker

Post by The Thinker »

Very happy you posted on this subject, we are all very capable of unskillful thought and action, currently I find myself using the advice of the Vitakka-Santhana Sutta - http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el021.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, and other related advice on the subject on a daily basis, it's very helpful and the center ground of my daily practice of mindfulness, I am always on the look out for tips and tricks(methods) for overcoming wrong thought, any advice much appreciated.

:namaste:
"Watch your heart, observe. Be the observer, be the knower, not the condition" Ajahn Sumedho volume5 - The Wheel Of Truth
Leon-nl

Post by Leon-nl »

Related to this topic, the following sutta might be worth while reading:

Abhaya Sutta: To Prince Abhaya
(On Right Speech)

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"[1] In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be unfactual, untrue, unbeneficial (or: not connected with the goal), unendearing & disagreeable to others, he does not say them.

[2] In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, unbeneficial, unendearing & disagreeable to others, he does not say them.

[3] In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, beneficial, but unendearing & disagreeable to others, he has a sense of the proper time for saying them.

[4] In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be unfactual, untrue, unbeneficial, but endearing & agreeable to others, he does not say them.

[5] In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, unbeneficial, but endearing & agreeable to others, he does not say them.

[6] In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, beneficial, and endearing & agreeable to others, he has a sense of the proper time for saying them. Why is that? Because the Tathagata has sympathy for living beings."

A Dutch Buddhist website published this (translated) after the Charlie Hebdo atatck in Paris last January.
“Look on the world as empty, Mogharāja, being always mindful.
Having removed wrong view of self, in this way one will cross beyond Death.
When looking on the world in this way the king of Death does not see one.” - Sn 5.15
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

The following Sutta is applicable for this OP

Kathavatthu Sutta: Topics for Discussion

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Cormac Brown

Post by Cormac Brown »

Yes, Sarath's posted a very relevant sutta that provides a useful set of guidelines for how we should conduct our discussions. A recommended read.
“I in the present who am a worthy one, rightly self-awakened, am a
teacher of action, a teacher of activity, a teacher of persistence. But the
worthless man Makkhali contradicts even me, (saying,) ‘There is no
action. There is no activity. There is no persistence.’ "
AN 3.138, trans. Ven. Thanissaro
Maitri

Post by Maitri »

Aloka wrote:Rather than expecting strangers in the internet realm to behave as if they're attending a Victorian boarding school, it might be a good idea to either use the report button, or else relax a little & not take them too seriously.

Alternatively one can always switch off one's phone or computer...... aaaah, peace!
Co-signed. Some Western Buddhists excel at dealing with conflict in a passive aggressive way, so anything that isn't sunshine, breathing and smiles is seen as threatening or hostile. People disagree and argue. That's the nature of internet boards. Whenever drama creeps up, I just don't log in for a while and it handles itself.

I think the attitude on this forum compared to Dharmawheel is a bit stiff, but it's also not dominated by 3-5 users like our sister forum. I like the variety of informed viewpoints and questions we get here.
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/
ieee23

Post by ieee23 »

Ironically, reddit.com of all places has a pretty decent Buddhist discussion forum. There is very little involvement by the moderators, people of all sects mix, and for the most part people are very polite. reddit.com/r/buddhism
Last edited by ieee23 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19
thepea

Post by thepea »

Fear.
DC2R

Post by DC2R »

ieee23 wrote:Ironically, reddit.com of all places as a pretty decent Buddhist discussion forum. There is very little involvement by the moderators, people of sects mix, and for the most part people are very polite. reddit.com/r/buddhism
/r/theravada is also good.

I remember reading a thread on one of those boards that was very similar to this one, interestingly enough.