Make Header Bar Smaller?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.

Make Header Bar Smaller?

Postby Chula » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:48 pm

Just a suggestion, but since I tend to login at work, can the header bar with the huge DHAMMA WHEEL logo be made smaller? I'd like it not to be so prominent when people walk by expecting me to work :)
User avatar
Chula
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:58 am
Location: NYC

Re: Make Header Bar Smaller?

Postby acinteyyo » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:01 pm

Chula wrote: I'd like it not to be so prominent when people walk by expecting me to work :)

Hi Chula,

I don't want to be offensive, but that is your problem isn't it? You're responsible for your acting. If you shouldn't be surfing the web while you're at work, then don't do it and if you do it anyway then be responsible for what you do.
I don't consider it good to try to hide your behaviour. This is your intention, isn't it?

best wishes, acinteyyo
Pubbe cāhaṃ bhikkhave, etarahi ca dukkhañceva paññāpemi, dukkhassa ca nirodhaṃ. (M.22)
Api cāhaṃ, āvuso, imasmiṃyeva byāmamatte kaḷevare, sasaññimhi samanake lokañca paññāpemi lokasamudayañca lokanirodhañca lokanirodhagāminiñca paṭipadan. (AN4.45)

:anjali:
User avatar
acinteyyo
 
Posts: 1055
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:48 am
Location: Neuburg/Donau, Germany

Re: Make Header Bar Smaller?

Postby Chula » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:20 pm

Hi acinteyyo,

I think you took my post a little too seriously. Anyway, It's not that I shouldn't be surfing the web at work - the holiday season is slow so there's less work. But yes, I agree that its my problem - doesn't hurt to make a suggestion though I would think?

Metta,
Chula

acinteyyo wrote:
Chula wrote: I'd like it not to be so prominent when people walk by expecting me to work :)

Hi Chula,

I don't want to be offensive, but that is your problem isn't it? You're responsible for your acting. If you shouldn't be surfing the web while you're at work, then don't do it and if you do it anyway then be responsible for what you do.
I don't consider it good to try to hide your behaviour. This is your intention, isn't it?

best wishes, acinteyyo
User avatar
Chula
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:58 am
Location: NYC

Re: Make Header Bar Smaller?

Postby poto » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:52 pm

If you have firefox, you can install the adblock plus addon and selectively block any image you want.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
User avatar
poto
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 am

Re: Make Header Bar Smaller?

Postby Annapurna » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:55 pm

Chula wrote:Hi acinteyyo,

I think you took my post a little too seriously. Anyway, It's not that I shouldn't be surfing the web at work - the holiday season is slow so there's less work. But yes, I agree that its my problem - doesn't hurt to make a suggestion though I would think?

Metta,
Chula

acinteyyo wrote:
Chula wrote: I'd like it not to be so prominent when people walk by expecting me to work :)

Hi Chula,

I don't want to be offensive, but that is your problem isn't it? You're responsible for your acting. If you shouldn't be surfing the web while you're at work, then don't do it and if you do it anyway then be responsible for what you do.
I don't consider it good to try to hide your behaviour. This is your intention, isn't it?

best wishes, acinteyyo


Hey, Chula,

I'd suggest you take Accinteyos advice a bit more seriously.

He pointed you straight back to your intentions, which is....? To cover up what your boss shouldn't know....

Judge for yourself if a Buddhist board should assist you in this.

It is YOUR problem. Sorry. :hug: I know this is hard to resist, and bla.

I log in at work too, but I'm the boss. :lol:

Metta,

Annabel
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/
User avatar
Annapurna
 
Posts: 2639
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:04 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Make Header Bar Smaller?

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:09 pm

All this side-steps the issue though. The header does take a lot of space if you zoom in. The Dhamma Wheel text wraps underneath the logo and the header then takes up about 1/3 of the page.
Attachments
Dhamma Wheel.png
Dhamma Wheel.png (50.73 KiB) Viewed 887 times
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
User avatar
Bhikkhu Pesala
 
Posts: 2071
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: Make Header Bar Smaller?

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:22 pm

Hi Bhante,

That may happen with zooming in or if the screen is one of the older ones without wide screen. The wide screens have the logo and Dhamma Wheel all on one line, unless I suppose you zoom-in.
User avatar
David N. Snyder
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8205
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Make Header Bar Smaller?

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:28 pm

Hi David,

For me it wraps because I zoom in. Otherwise I can't read the text.

Ha! I just killed off the "steering wheel" with adblock... That gives a bit more space... :jedi:

Mike
User avatar
mikenz66
 
Posts: 10659
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Make Header Bar Smaller?

Postby acinteyyo » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:30 am

Chula wrote: But yes, I agree that its my problem - doesn't hurt to make a suggestion though I would think?

Hi Chula,

surely making a suggestion doesn't hurt. All I was trying to point out is: watch your intention.
Angutarra VI,vi,9
Cetanāham bhikkhave kammam vadāmi; cetayitvā kammam karoti kāyena vācāya manasā.
Action, monks, I say is intention; intending, one does action by body, by speech, by mind.


Intention = kamma

best wishes, acinteyyo
Pubbe cāhaṃ bhikkhave, etarahi ca dukkhañceva paññāpemi, dukkhassa ca nirodhaṃ. (M.22)
Api cāhaṃ, āvuso, imasmiṃyeva byāmamatte kaḷevare, sasaññimhi samanake lokañca paññāpemi lokasamudayañca lokanirodhañca lokanirodhagāminiñca paṭipadan. (AN4.45)

:anjali:
User avatar
acinteyyo
 
Posts: 1055
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:48 am
Location: Neuburg/Donau, Germany

Re: Make Header Bar Smaller?

Postby Chula » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:20 am

Agreed that my intention was to hide that I was checking the site from my work colleagues. I should be more upfront about it.. if someone sees it and a conversation ensues, I might even be able to introduce some people to the Dhamma.. my problem has been that I've been quite a bad introducer - giving too much detail and scaring people away when I really should just be giving some basic points.. this should be good practice for me.

acinteyyo wrote:
Chula wrote: But yes, I agree that its my problem - doesn't hurt to make a suggestion though I would think?

Hi Chula,

surely making a suggestion doesn't hurt. All I was trying to point out is: watch your intention.
Angutarra VI,vi,9
Cetanāham bhikkhave kammam vadāmi; cetayitvā kammam karoti kāyena vācāya manasā.
Action, monks, I say is intention; intending, one does action by body, by speech, by mind.


Intention = kamma

best wishes, acinteyyo
User avatar
Chula
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:58 am
Location: NYC

Re: Make Header Bar Smaller?

Postby Kim OHara » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:05 am

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:All this side-steps the issue though. The header does take a lot of space if you zoom in. The Dhamma Wheel text wraps underneath the logo and the header then takes up about 1/3 of the page.


It's the same for me. I use Safari on an oldish Mac and my screen is 1024 x 768 pixels.
The header doesn't quite wrap into one line, using my default settings. If I zoom out, the header wraps but all the text is just a bit too small for comfortable reading.
So if one of the technical people has the time and inclination to make that small change, I too would be grateful. It wouldn't need much work, AFAIK, and would still look good.

Kim
User avatar
Kim OHara
 
Posts: 3194
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:47 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia


Return to Suggestion box

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests