Posting photos

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
alan

Posting photos

Post by alan »

I've set my camera to put out small Jpegs but the don't want to load. Is there a limit on size, and if so, how would I compress them?
Thanks.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Posting photos

Post by DNS »

Best to use one of those free hosting sites for photos:

http://imageshack.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

click on browse to select the photo from your computer, then host it and then the photo itself to get the url.

To put a photo in a post, click on Img above and then insert the url in between the Img codes

Also best to not make the photo too large, otherwise those who do not have wide screens yet may not see the whole image.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

David N. Snyder wrote: ...
Also best to not make the photo too large, otherwise those who do not have wide screens yet may not see the whole image.
Also best not to make the photo too large in file size or those on slower connections will have to wait *forever* for it to load.
For most on-screen purposes, 450 x 300 pixels is plenty and 150 x 100 may be enough. With some compression, those sizes translate to a maximum of about 320 KB, which will load fast enough for nearly everyone.
You can always post a link to a high-res image if you want to share, e.g., something that others will print out.

Kim
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

I've set my camera to put out small Jpegs but the don't want to load. Is there a limit on size, and if so, how would I compress them?
Thanks.

They won't load to where?

From your camera to the PC, or from the PC to a forum?

In general:

First choose in your camera the size you want.,

Like, you have a choice of several pixel....

something like ~2000 x 3000, 1000 x 2000...

Then upload them to your PC; after that to a host, like imageshack or photobucket

I use photo bucket, which gives me several options of sizes and for all sorts of purposes.

Like 'email', IMG, bla bla.

Did that answer your question?
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

You can use Picasa to reduce the size of jpegs.
alan

Post by alan »

I had just set my camera to low-res Jpeg, put them into iphoto, and tried to download. Please forgive my ignorance on these matters. In the past I have only worked with larger format Film.
I'll try Mike's suggestion of joining that photo uploading group...but there may be some professional conflicts.
(I do need to protect the rare good shots).
alan

Post by alan »

Just realized what may be the cause of the problem. Right before I left on this trip my sister inadvertently grabbed the USB cable. I've been working with a 50 peso card reader purchased in the Philippines. That probably explains why I can't reduce the Jpegs.

I guess I owe you some nice photos now, after taking al your time. I'm in Bangkok, have some ok Buddha images, which I'll share as soon as this problem is solved.
Thanks.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

alan wrote:I had just set my camera to low-res Jpeg, put them into iphoto, and tried to download. Please forgive my ignorance on these matters. In the past I have only worked with larger format Film.
I'll try Mike's suggestion of joining that photo uploading group...but there may be some professional conflicts.
(I do need to protect the rare good shots).
Ummmmm ... I don't want to cause alarm and despondency, or teach granny to suck eggs, but if you want to protect those 'rare good shots' there is one essential rule: take all your photos at the highest resolution your camera will handle, and save the original image file at that resolution. That file is the digital equivalent of your film negative and needs to be protected just as carefully. Save low-res or cropped versions as copies of the original (with new names).
You can share low-res copies freely without worrying about professional conflicts, since no-one can re-create your original high-res image from the low-res one. I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Kim
alan

Post by alan »

Thanks. Actually, I have it set on RAW+low res Jpeg. Didn't want to over complicate my post.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Okay, you're fine then.
:thumbsup:

Kim