Thumbs up button

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.

Thumbs up button

Postby mud » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:54 am

So far seems all good :)

Would it be possible to put a thumbs up (or recommend) button so that people can find popular posts?

Maybe a ‘random post’ too could be interesting
mud

Re: Thumbs up button

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:08 am

Greetings,

If the quality of the Dhamma was determined by popular vote, then this may have some practical use.

However, since realistically it's not, this functionality is only likely to create tension and turn the art of posting into a popularity contest.

That said, I don't know how we could do it even if we wanted to... I'm not sure the platform supports it.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Thumbs up button

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:51 am

retrofuturist wrote:If the quality of the Dhamma was determined by popular vote, then this may have some practical use.

However, since realistically it's not, this functionality is only likely to create tension and turn the art of posting into a popularity contest.

That said, I don't know how we could do it even if we wanted to... I'm not sure the platform supports it.

I agree with retro. Even if it were possible, I would not want it. It could easily turn into an ego event for who has the "most" thumbs up's.

In my e-mail responses to people I have this on my signature line:

"democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch."
Benjamin Franklin
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Return to Suggestion box