Not Easy to Find Out if Someone Wrote Me a Message

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
dhamma_spoon

Not Easy to Find Out if Someone Wrote Me a Message

Post by dhamma_spoon »

Hi, -

There may already be a quick way to find out if there is one or more messages for me that are hidden under some sub-topics of certain forums, but I do not know how! In that is the case, then kindly show me how. Thanks !

Tep
----
A soup spoon does not know the taste of the soup.
A dhamma spoon does not know the taste of the Dhamma!
retrofuturist

Re: Not Easy to Find Out if Someone Wrote Me a Message

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Tep,

No, there is no way that I'm aware of to do that on this particular Message Board system.

I suspect you're thinking of a hierarchial system like that used in Yahoo and on very old Message Boards.

The phpBB3 set up is chronologically linear... posts will appear one after another sorted by the time and date they were made, irrespective of who they are addressed to.

In part it depends on what you're used to, I think. I know I find it very difficult to follow the flow of conversation in the Yahoo style model... and this "chronologically linear" method is certainly the standard method on the Internet at this point in time.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

dhamma_spoon wrote:Hi, -

There may already be a quick way to find out if there is one or more messages for me that are hidden under some sub-topics of certain forums, but I do not know how! In that is the case, then kindly show me how. Thanks !

Tep
----
You have to check the threads you have contributed to and see if there are any responses to them directed toward you.

Kevin
dhamma_spoon

Post by dhamma_spoon »

Hi, Retro and Kevin, -

Thanks to you both for kindly and quickly getting back to me.

Yes, the "linear approach" is convenient in the case of normal writing. But for a heavy-writing talkative guy (or gal) it takes some time to search as Kevin has suggested.

Just a thought with no intention to complain, however. :hug:

Your friend,

Tep
----
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

Seems like there are few options you can use on here - at the bottom of a thread page there are two links, "Subscribe Topic" and "Bookmark Topic". At the bottom of the "Post Reply" page there is another option, "Notify me when a reply is posted". I never tried those before, but I think they're what you're looking for.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Except they don't work :embarassed:

(With the exception of Bookmark Topic) They're all connected to the e-mail system and despite David's best efforts, we've never managed to get the e-mail system working.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

retrofuturist wrote:Except they don't work :embarassed:
Oh, I see. That's too bad. :(
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Beeblebrox,

Yeah. I know most people have no desire to use those functions, but for those who do, it's a shame we can't yet accommodate it. I'm worried that if one day we do work out how to fire up the e-mail engine, it will overload and burn-out with churning out over 18 months worth of unsent e-mails! :tongue: That's half in jest, but I know Zen Form International crashed at one point on account of a similar issue.

Metta,
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

I use the 'View your posts' link at the top of the page to bring up all threads I have contributed to, and the flag colour on each thread to see whether I need to read it to get up to date on the conversation.
It's not exactly what you wanted, Tep, but it works fairly well.
:namaste:
Kim
dhamma_spoon

Post by dhamma_spoon »

Yes, Kim, the 'View your posts' link works pretty well for me too.

I appreciate all ideas and suggestions from the members of this forum!

Tep
----