Thread bumping

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.

Thread bumping

Postby Individual » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:38 pm

I don't remember if I suggested this already. It's a common rule on forums because people that go back and post in old threads tend to be disruptive. Because the conversations are old, people generally aren't involved in replying anymore. However, people often miss the time-stamps on posts and, after one person bumps an old thread, a few people can start replying before they even notice it's an old thread that's been re-hashed.

Should a rule be established prohibiting bumping old threads?
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Re: Thread bumping

Postby Bonsai Doug » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:34 pm

A suggestion from my experience running a couple of forum boards: The forum software
can be set to purge out threads which have not been replied to after a certain amount of time
has passed.

It's automatic and therefore would not require any rules which may or may not be adhered to.
Now having obtained a precious human body,
I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path.

~ Tibetan Book of the Dead
Bonsai Doug

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:36 pm

Individual wrote:It's a common rule on forums because people that go back and post in old threads tend to be disruptive.

I haven't noticed such a pattern. It's true that sometimes there are replies to old comments mistaken for new, but that hardly seems disruptive. Most things being discussed here are not current events, so a gap of a year or two in discussion is hardly a problem...
Should a rule be established prohibiting bumping old threads?

Certainly not, in my opinion. In fact, I'm off to add information to an old thread right now... :woohoo:

Bonsai Doug wrote:The forum software can be set to purge out threads which have not been replied to after a certain amount of time
has passed.

That might be appropriate on some boards, where the information might be only of fleeting interest, but in my opinion it would be disastrous on a board like this, where part of the point is to assemble information that can be searched or browsed later. There are many, many, posts on the meanings of Pali terms, or tricky passages in Suttas that may not get much discussion, but are an incredibly valuable resource.

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby Modus.Ponens » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:42 pm

I agree with Mike.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby m0rl0ck » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:45 pm

Modus.Ponens wrote:I agree with Mike.

Me too. I have used older threads as a resource myself.
"Even if you've read the whole Canon and can remember lots of teachings; even if you can explain them in poignant ways, with lots of people to respect you; even if you build a lot of monastery buildings, or can explain inconstancy, stress, and not-self in the most detailed fashion ... The only thing that serves your own true purpose is release from suffering.

"And you'll be able to gain release from suffering only when you know the one mind."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... eleft.html
m0rl0ck

Postby Bonsai Doug » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:55 pm

mikenz66 wrote:
Bonsai Doug wrote:The forum software can be set to purge out threads which have not been replied to after a certain amount of time
has passed.

That might be appropriate on some boards, where the information might be only of fleeting interest, but in my opinion it would be disastrous on a board like this, where part of the point is to assemble information that can be searched or browsed later. There are many, many, posts on the meanings of Pali terms, or tricky passages in Suttas that may not get much discussion, but are an incredibly valuable resource.

Humbly, I suggested it could be done, not that it should be done.

The fewer rules a forum has, the better. Keep things simple. If the board owners/admins feel bumping old threads
presents a problem, all they have to do it lock the thread = no further posting and info preserved.

Now having obtained a precious human body,
I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path.

~ Tibetan Book of the Dead
Bonsai Doug

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:32 pm

Hi Doug,
Bonsai Doug wrote:Humbly, I suggested it could be done, not that it should be done.

The fewer rules a forum has, the better. Keep things simple. If the board owners/admins feel bumping old threads
presents a problem, all they have to do it lock the thread = no further posting and info preserved.

Sure, locking threads is another useful option. Sorry for mixing up your technical input with other issues....

Mike
mikenz66

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:51 pm

Individual wrote:Should a rule be established prohibiting bumping old threads?
It only happens occasionally, not enough to be a real problem, and sometimes old threads are full of interesting stuff and worth a bump up.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Individual » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:25 pm

No rule is universally applicable.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:06 pm

Individual wrote:No rule is universally applicable.
Except the rule that no rule is universally applicable.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby BlackBird » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:22 pm

Why prohibit people from bumping old threads? People might have something good to say. Does that really grind your gears when you see a thread from a year or two ago pop up on your new posts panel? Why purge old threads? They contain a wealth of information.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby Individual » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:25 pm

tiltbillings wrote:
Individual wrote:No rule is universally applicable.
Except the rule that no rule is universally applicable.

Not a rule. Just a fact. Feel free to try to apply rules universally and eventually, it will fail. Only wisdom is transcendent, not its particular expressions. :)

BlackBird wrote:Why prohibit people from bumping old threads? People might have something good to say. Does that really grind your gears when you see a thread from a year or two ago pop up on your new posts panel? Why purge old threads? They contain a wealth of information.

It just has a habit of being disruptive. Maybe it's a bad idea, but if it starts happening more often because certain new posters seem to dig up old threads just to say, "I agree", to posters that are no longer here... maybe you'd see what I mean.

Perhaps it is just a bad idea.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Postby BlackBird » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:30 pm

Individual wrote:It just has a habit of being disruptive. Maybe it's a bad idea, but if it starts happening more often because certain new posters seem to dig up old threads just to say, "I agree", to posters that are no longer here... maybe you'd see what I mean.

Maybe you can take it as training, work on that khanti-parami eh :P
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:32 pm

Individual wrote: It just has a habit of being disruptive.
That is a habit you should work on breaking.

As for old thread being bumped up, it really is not an issue here. It happens, and they can be easily enough ignored, or maybe they still have some life left in them. Either way, it is not a problem.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:12 am

I almost didn't reply to this post (and I am despite my better judgement) but if a topic is of interest enough to one of our fellow forum members to incline them to replying (id est, bumping) a thread what's so wrong with that? Isn't this a discussion forum? Sorry but I don't understand the motivation for the thread and it just seems kind of mean spirited. My apologies in advance for any toes I may have stepped on. Mettaya.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=148031379279&v=info
Kiva-Theravada Buddhists:http://www.kiva.org/team/theravada_buddhists
Dana on the Interwebs:
http://greatergood.com
http://freerice.com
Khalil Bodhi

Postby Annapurna » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:28 am

I've never seen here that old threads became a problem that needed any form of concern and moderating action.

And why create unnecessary limitations?

Isn't Buddhism about liberation from all sorts of jails we create with our worries?

Another rule would display another worry.

It would be a pity to have old, valuable material deleted, too.

This is probably useful in forums where the topics have a lot of idle chatter, but not here.

http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/
Annapurna

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:31 pm

Individual wrote:It's a common rule on forums because people that go back and post in old threads tend to be disruptive.

I don't think it's disruptive. The same topics tend to re-appear on a regular basis on these forums, and sometimes re-starting an old thread makes more sense than starting a new one.

Spiny
Spiny O'Norman

Postby KonstantKarma » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:51 pm

Necroposting can be annoying sometimes but it's not the end of the world.

Just speaking as a long-time forum user and administrator, myself. It's not a big deal. Also, purging old threads kills the posting statistics- and you don't want that. On my forum we have one particular user who finds it appropriate to necropost about once a week or two, long after the conversation is ended, but we just let it go.
KonstantKarma

Postby andre9999 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:24 pm

KonstantKarma wrote:Necroposting can be annoying sometimes but it's not the end of the world.

For me it's not all that annoying unless it happens frequently, which it doesn't seem to here.

And is it really necessary to post a picture of a bunch of dead people to get your point across?
andre9999

Postby kirk5a » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:35 pm

andrer9999 wrote:And is it really necessary to post a picture of a bunch of dead people to get your point across?

I'm taking the opportunity to visualize my body wrapped up in those sheets, as it will be one day, and contemplating the feelings that generates.

Thanks for the image.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
kirk5a

Next

Return to Suggestion box