printing a whole thread

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
delora

printing a whole thread

Post by delora »

Hi there. This is a really helpful site - so many questions for me have been answered here.

I'd like to print a few threads for my own records. Is there a way where you can show all the threads in one page? Or a printer friendly (graphics reduced) format?
mikenz66

Re: printing a whole thread

Post by mikenz66 »

There is a little print icon up on the top right of the thread. This gives a printable text-based format that might be OK for your purpose, but omits some of the bells and whistles, and makes it hard to figure out where the quotes end.

Otherwise, another approach is to cut and paste into a word processor.... I sometimes to that with web pages anyway.

:anjali:
Mike
James N. Dawson

Post by James N. Dawson »

As it is, it's only possible to print out one "web-page" at a time. If there are a lot (hundreds of pages), as there are in some threads, that can be a very tedious, so I think it'd be nice if entire threads could be printed with one click. Not that I'm complaining, just saying what would be very helpful, if or when some tech savvy person wanted to take on the task.
andre9999

Post by andre9999 »

James N. Dawson wrote:As it is, it's only possible to print out one "web-page" at a time. If there are a lot (hundreds of pages), as there are in some threads, that can be a very tedious, so I think it'd be nice if entire threads could be printed with one click. Not that I'm complaining, just saying what would be very helpful, if or when some tech savvy person wanted to take on the task.
It was already stated in the post above yours that the print-friendly icon is in the far upper-right of the page. It has minimal graphics and has all posts on one page.
delora

Post by delora »

thankyou
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
James N. Dawson

Post by James N. Dawson »

Andre,
Yes, I know about the print icon and how it converts the screen to a printer-friendly version. But the issue is the printing out of "whole threads", not "whole pages". I appreciate the present option, but I'm just noting, for me, a "whole thread" option would better.

Hanzee,
Both computers and paper production have their own effects on the environment. There was a story in the news some time ago about Chinese assembly workers getting sick from the chemicals in the new Mac device (I don't remember exactly what it was). I don't know enough science to competently say which causes the environment most harm---computers or paper. (Lots of computers go to landfills, and contaminate the soil.) Almost everything we do has adverse effects on something else, and it seems debates could go on forever about which is worse as opposed to another.

I'm glad the Teachings were committed to paper, no disrespect to the oral tradition intended. I realize many prefer the Internet and are very comfortable navigating it and reading screens. More power to them. But I assimilate paper pages, tables of contents, and indexes better, and navigate with moving eyes and thumb and forefingers better and more comfortably.

Of course, I don't expect anybody to accomodate me in this, and don't resent it if they don't. It's nobody else's problem or obligation. Just "seconding" the OP. :smile:
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

James N. Dawson wrote: Yes, I know about the print icon and how it converts the screen to a printer-friendly version. But the issue is the printing out of "whole threads", not "whole pages". I appreciate the present option, but I'm just noting, for me, a "whole thread" option would better.
Hmm, yes, I had thought it formatted the whole thread, but with a little experimentation I see that it actually doesn't. And I don't see any useful options to change anywhere.

Sorry!

:anjali:
Mike