Thumbs up button

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
mud

Thumbs up button

Postby mud » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:54 am

So far seems all good :)

Would it be possible to put a thumbs up (or recommend) button so that people can find popular posts?

Maybe a ‘random post’ too could be interesting

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Thumbs up button

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:08 am

Greetings,

If the quality of the Dhamma was determined by popular vote, then this may have some practical use.

However, since realistically it's not, this functionality is only likely to create tension and turn the art of posting into a popularity contest.

That said, I don't know how we could do it even if we wanted to... I'm not sure the platform supports it.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

“One to whom it might occur, ‘I’m a woman’ or ‘I’m a man’. Or ‘I’m anything at all’— Is fit for Mara to address.” (SN 5.2)

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Re: Thumbs up button

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:51 am

retrofuturist wrote:If the quality of the Dhamma was determined by popular vote, then this may have some practical use.

However, since realistically it's not, this functionality is only likely to create tension and turn the art of posting into a popularity contest.

That said, I don't know how we could do it even if we wanted to... I'm not sure the platform supports it.

I agree with retro. Even if it were possible, I would not want it. It could easily turn into an ego event for who has the "most" thumbs up's.

In my e-mail responses to people I have this on my signature line:

"democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch."
Benjamin Franklin

seniya

Thank you buttons

Postby seniya » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:08 pm

kirana wrote:
seniya wrote:No, Asoka is not a cakkavatti (ruler of the world), but dipacakkavatti (ruler of the continent, i.e Jambudipa or continent of west):

Hi Seniya,
how about this, i found at Dīpavaṃsa :
asokadhammo ‘bhisitto paṭiladdhā ca iddhiyo, mahātejo puññavanto dīpe cakkapavattako [asokadhamma, after his coronation, obtained the miraculous faculties; exceedingly splendid and rich in meritorious works (he was), universal monarch of Jambudīpa]- Dīp vi,23

mettacittena,

Thx for the info....

Btw, why this forum doesn't have Thank you button like other forums????
I'm sorry if my words are not understandable and it is in impolite expression, because my native language is not English....

Mettacitena

_/\_

kirana

Re: Was Asoka a cakkavatti emperor?

Postby kirana » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:22 pm

seniya wrote:
kirana wrote:
seniya wrote:No, Asoka is not a cakkavatti (ruler of the world), but dipacakkavatti (ruler of the continent, i.e Jambudipa or continent of west):

Hi Seniya,
asokadhammo ‘bhisitto paṭiladdhā ca iddhiyo, mahātejo puññavanto dīpe cakkapavattako [asokadhamma, after his coronation, obtained the miraculous faculties; exceedingly splendid and rich in meritorious works (he was), universal monarch of Jambudīpa]- Dīp vi,23

mettacittena,

Thx for the info....

u r most welcome.
i think dhamma incomparable with "thank u button" [i dont know the admin's policy]

mettacittena,

Mr. G

Re: Was Asoka a cakkavatti emperor?

Postby Mr. G » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:27 pm

seniya wrote:
kirana wrote:

Hi Seniya,

mettacittena,

Thx for the info....

This is a mod that can be added to the forums if the owner wishes:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=373805
Even if my body should be burnt to death
In the fires of hell,
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice
- Gandavyuha Sutra

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Re: Thank you buttons

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:24 pm

No thanks, it is our policy right now to not have thank you buttons, thumbs-up buttons, etc.

For some (not all) it might end up being a competition and another chance to feed the ego.

Thanks for the suggestion, but for now we will not be adopting that one.

One could still post the smilie: :goodpost: once in a while when there is a post that one is especially fond of or of course thanking someone for some good info.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:44 pm

Greetings,

And there definitely won't be a "karma" function to enable members to smite each other!

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

“One to whom it might occur, ‘I’m a woman’ or ‘I’m a man’. Or ‘I’m anything at all’— Is fit for Mara to address.” (SN 5.2)

Euclid

Postby Euclid » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:55 pm

If you wish to show somebody gratitude, you can always just post your thanks, or even privately message them. :thanks:

:anjali:

seniya

Postby seniya » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:39 pm

Ok, thx for the attention.... :)

I understand the policy of this forum.... :anjali:
I'm sorry if my words are not understandable and it is in impolite expression, because my native language is not English....

Mettacitena

_/\_

Mohan Gnanathilake

Re: What is the future of Dhamma Wheel

Postby Mohan Gnanathilake » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:42 pm

Aesthetics, usability, service quality, pleasurable interaction, content and website identity are assessed on the judgment of Buddhist website quality.
All thoughts begin in the mind, mind is supreme and mind-made are they. If one speaks or acts with impure mind pain follows him like the wheel the hoof of the ox.
(Dhammapada 1, Yamaka Vagga – The Twin Verses)

All thoughts begin in the mind, mind is supreme and mind –made are they. If one speaks or acts with pure mind happiness follows him like one’s shadow that never leaves.
(Dhammapada 2, Yamaka Vagga – The Twin Verses)

Mr.Mohan Barathi Gnanathilake
Permanent Address : No. 372 / 2 , Mahara Prison Road , Ragama, Sri Lanka.
Telephone No :+94 112957857
Email :moh.bar.gna1975@gmail.com

R1111

Postby R1111 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:51 pm

Id like to see a reputation stat for members something like stackexchange.com, similar or better.
I also think below avatar it should say what tradition person follows if any, thats important piece of information for people to navigate.
How to Enlightenment, Vipassana Method based on The Four Foundations of Mindfulness as taught by Venerable Mahasi Saydaw (Burmese):
http://www.sirimangalo.org/text/how-to-meditate/
Dhamma videos categorized by topic, Ven. Yuttadhammo Bhikkhu following Ven. Pra Brahmamangala Vi ( Vi for Vipassana) Ajahn Tong's(Thai) Lineage.
http://video.sirimangalo.org/

Mkoll

Postby Mkoll » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:46 pm

R1111 wrote:Id like to see a reputation stat for members something like stackexchange.com, similar or better.

Is that even possible with this phpBB forum system?
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:54 pm

Mkoll wrote:
R1111 wrote:Id like to see a reputation stat for members something like stackexchange.com, similar or better.

I am sure it is possible, the question is: “Is it desirable?”
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Mkoll

Postby Mkoll » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:08 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
Mkoll wrote:

I am sure it is possible, the question is: “Is it desirable?”

Oh nice, I didn't think this old bucket of bolts had it in her. :mrgreen:

That is a good question, indeed.

santa100

Postby santa100 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:11 am

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:...the question is: “Is it desirable?

I used to think it was an excellent idea. But then there's a strange imaginary story that came to my mind: there was a democratic egalitarianistic society, a country where women enjoy the same rights as men, and all other good stuff... except... most of the people are cannibals. A group of innocent 5th BC time travelers during their space-time tour got stuck in 21st AD Democratic of Cannibals when their time machine broke down. There was ongoing discusions on DoC's online forums about what to do with those tourists. Obviously everyone got vote and reputation, being a good democracy as it is. As a result, a wise man got the highest "reputation" for advocating the idea of making a huge free feast for everyone, all cost and expenses "paid" for by the tourists. At the same time there was a poor idiot who opposed the idea. While the story didn't reveal anything after that, we could imagine the poor guy didn't get a very good "reputation" and what's more, he might already "paid" the cost for that huge dinner along with those poor tourists he tried to protect...

Mr Man

Postby Mr Man » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:15 am

santa100 wrote:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:...the question is: “Is it desirable?

I used to think it was an excellent idea. But then there's a strange imaginary story that came to my mind: there was a democratic egalitarianistic society, a country where women enjoy the same rights as men, and all other good stuff... except... most of the people are cannibals. A group of innocent 5th BC time travelers during their space-time tour got stuck in 21st AD Democratic of Cannibals when their time machine broke down. There was ongoing discusions on DoC's online forums about what to do with those tourists. Obviously everyone got vote and reputation, being a good democracy as it is. As a result, a wise man got the highest "reputation" for advocating the idea of making a huge free feast for everyone, all cost and expenses "paid" for by the tourists. At the same time there was a poor idiot who opposed the idea. While the story didn't reveal anything after that, we could imagine the poor guy didn't get a very good "reputation" and what's more, he might already "paid" the cost for that huge dinner along with those poor tourists he tried to protect...

A good story santa100. Thank you.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:26 am

Mr Man wrote:A good story santa100. Thank you.

It was a very poor analogy for the use of reputation on forums. Trolls are not innocent time travellers from 5BC who arrive by accident. They visit specifically to disrupt the forum.

The moderators cannot be watching always, and members don't want to report every post that they find offensive, off-topic, or hostile. A quick click to downvote the post indicates to everyone that the person is perhaps a troll.

Similarly, upvotes for good posts quickly show one's appreciation without disrupting the conversation.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:54 am

Speaking about trolls ... https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/10/truth-trolls-internet-abusive-comments-online
... What these findings suggest is that any person who happens to wake up on the wrong side of the bed can be the spark that results in a cascade of bad behaviour. And if troll comments beget more troll comments, you can imagine a discussion, or even a whole community, being overrun by these kinds of posts if left unchecked.

We might hypothesise that “upvotes” and “downvotes” can solve the problem, as a community can use these signals to tell bad commenters that what they write isn’t appropriate or appreciated. However, voting can make matters worse. While it might have been designed as a simple indicator of a comment’s quality, it’s been shown that downvotes propagate negativity through a community. That is, people who have their comments downvoted not only write a greater number of negative, troll comments in the future, but they also retaliate by downvoting others. (And if you were hoping that being upvoted leads to better comments or more upvotes, this isn’t the case.) ...

:reading:
Kim

Mr Man

Postby Mr Man » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:34 am

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
Mr Man wrote:A good story santa100. Thank you.

It was a very poor analogy for the use of reputation on forums. Trolls are not innocent time travellers from 5BC who arrive by accident. They visit specifically to disrupt the forum.

The moderators cannot be watching always, and members don't want to report every post that they find offensive, off-topic, or hostile. A quick click to downvote the post indicates to everyone that the person is perhaps a troll.

Similarly, upvotes for good posts quickly show one's appreciation without disrupting the conversation.

Hi Bhante

Well I guess our opinions differ. I could have upvoted santa100 and you could have downvoted santa100, if we had those buttons.

I go on other furums which have reputation ratings and in my opinion they don't necessarily indicate good or bad advice. They do create ill will and possibly are more often used by lurkers rather than participants (I guess the admin could monitor this).

We recently had the air BnB thread that shows how reputation can be misleading.

Would you like to see a reputation system implemented? If so how would you like to see it done?

:anjali:

Return to “Suggestion box”