Taking members seriously

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Fede

Re: Taking members seriously

Post by Fede »

He's not crusading to educate anyone. he's ranting.
And it's still bad form.
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

No rant was intended.

I'm glad other people have had a much more positive experience here. Best wishes.
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Jechbi wrote:.

One other thing to note: Having made this suggestion at DW's invitation, I now find that the tables are turned, and I am on the defensive, answering further criticism about myself. This, too, has been an ongoing pattern, and it is one of the things I have been concerned about.

Hi, Jechbi, surely no rant was intended. No offence was meant on my side.

But I think this offer is best applied to 'fresh' cases.

You may find that things are different now.

Like, I am vexed when people refer to things I said years ago, -I'm not the same anymore... :smile:

:smile:
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Thank you, Annapurna.
Annapurna wrote:But I think this offer is best applied to 'fresh' cases.
You're probably right, but I understood Retro's invitation differently:
retrofuturist wrote:Clearly you feel there are grievances unresolved about how things work here - would it help you to frame each as a suggestion in the Suggestion Box?

We can all work them through, one at a time. It is still "healthy, collaborative Dhamma discussion" you're after isn't it? If so, here's your chance.
So based on that, I thought I'd send up a trial balloon. I've personally had the experience described in the OP, and my perception is that it has happened to more than one member. At least one other person has expressed to me off-board that sometimes it seems like some members of the mod/admin team are hard on certain members. None of this was meant to be a rant. And as I mentioned in the OP, I think most of the time things are positive.

I'm used to being around people who are accustomed to receiving public criticism. I once witnessed a colleague sit through a meeting during which a prominent public official lavished criticism on him that clearly was personal and unfair. At the end of that, he said, "Thank you," and he smiled. Afterward, he shook hands with the person who had offered the criticism. I was impressed with that. I'm not as good at accepting criticism as he is, but I'm working on it. I also can appreciate how difficult it can be for others to accept criticism that they view as unfair.

I've said before and I'll say again: I appreciate the hard work that goes into Dhamma Wheel, and none of this has ever been intended to diminish from that. I thought I had some legitimate points, based on my experience. I'm told that I don't. That's fine. I'm glad people have good experiences here.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Jechbi wrote:I've said before and I'll say again: I appreciate the hard work that goes into Dhamma Wheel, and none of this has ever been intended to diminish from that. I thought I had some legitimate points, based on my experience. I'm told that I don't. That's fine. I'm glad people have good experiences here.
{{{Sigh}}}} No one is telling you do not have legitimate grievances, though i would wonder why you hang on to some of these grievance for so long and put so much energy into them.

It seems, J, you have gotten a lot of strongly negative feedback here on the Dhamma Wheel and on your blog, which really may be telling you something about how you are going about it.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

tiltbillings wrote:No one is telling you do not have legitimate grievances ...
Then I misunderstood. I thought that's what I was being told.
tiltbillings wrote:... you have gotten a lot of strongly negative feedback here on the Dhamma Wheel and on your blog, which really may be telling you something about how you are going about it.
I agree with you.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I never thought that I would grow nostalgic for Malcom Smith...
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

PeterB wrote:I never thought that I would grow nostalgic for Malcom Smith...

:D
_/|\_
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

As much as I sometimes disagreed with Namdrol, he had some remarkable things to offer. He's still a member here, I believe.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

He would certainly have given your self pity short shrift Jechbi.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

I can just see it now...

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

retrofuturist wrote:I can just see it now...

Metta,
Retro. :)
:clap:
_/|\_
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Hm...

I find most helpful as an occasional reminder this suttha....that's not to say I am able to do it.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www. ... G55irFDWXg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

I wasn't motivated by self pity so much as a sense that others might have had the same kind of experience here that I've had and that I've seen.

I understood Retro's invitation to be this: If I felt there were problems worth addressing and discussing, then I was invited to come here to the suggestion box and make a thread, if that would be helpful. So I did that.

An objection I have had is that it seems to me that people are not treated as kindly here as they should expect to be on a Dhamma discussion board. I imagined that other people might feel the same way. I thought it was worth having a public discussion about. I understood Retro's suggestion to mean that I could open such a discussion safely, and that it would be welcome. Clearly, I misunderstood.

One thing has become obvious: Under no circumstances will public criticism of the mod/admin team be acceptable to the mod/admin team or to most members here. It's said that insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I was expecting different results this time, in this thread. Maybe that was crazy.
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

btw, Annapurna, thanks for the sutta link. It is familiar to me: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 30&p=45459" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;