Taking members seriously

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
beeblebrox

Re: Taking members seriously

Post by beeblebrox »

Jechbi wrote:
andre9999 wrote:Even better yet, through a little metta meditation in there towards Tilt and see what happens.
Absolutely. I certainly have done this. For me, it's very good practice to deliberately send metta and thoughts of good will not only to myself and the people I care about, but also to people I am neutral about and to people with whom I have had disputes.
How is that working?
Jechbi wrote:Many of the responses have focused on my manner of conveying those concerns. Few have focused on the underlying concerns. I don't want to dwell on it or try to prove a point. I don't want to litigate. I don't want to dig around and come up with lots of examples. But I also don't want to keep having the focus put again and again on my manner of conveying these concerns. That wasn't supposed to be the topic.
I agree 100%. I think that the saṃsāra really should stop driving us crazy like that. Don't feel like you're alone. I really do appreciate your great endeavor in pressing on till finally this saṃsāra gives up, for once and for all. It'd be great also if you could make it scream "uncle," while you're at it... because I think that it really deserves it. That would be truly beneficial... for you, me and everyone.

:anjali:
alan

Post by alan »

Jechbi's just a Drama Queen.
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

Q.E.D.
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

Members should not be taken. Period. It says so in the suttas.
Vepacitta

Post by Vepacitta »

Having just come to this thread - I'd like to say something. It's better, (I'm not concerned with 'form'), I think to hash this stuff out privately. No matter how angry I get at a person (and you don't want to know, honey); I wouldn't call them out on the carpet publicly. Oh I might give a dig now and then, but for something serious - a pm to a mod would be the only way to handle it. Otherwise, it just publicly embarrses the person in question - and does anyone really want to do that? (You might also end up publicly embarrasing yourself :shock: )

So, if you're just so boiling with rage that you just have to say something - say it - but say it privately.

Personally, I have found the mods to take such things very seriously - and with a sense of compassion, understanding of human frailties and a sense of humour). AND, I found that things do indeed change around here.

I would also like to end on the note that DW is not the most contentious or negative Buddhist Website out there - there's another - won't mention the name - that is too vicious by half -

People get excited here from time to time - but I don't sense a true underlying nastiness that I've sniffed out on other sites.
Even some of the seemingly snarky ones here have made insightful posts showing great compassion to others - honest.

All the best from Mt. Meru,

V.
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

alan wrote:Jechbi's just a Drama Queen.

Why would a Buddhist engage in ad homimem attacks... ?
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

We are all human.
Fede

Post by Fede »

Annapurna wrote:
alan wrote:Jechbi's just a Drama Queen.

Why would a Buddhist engage in ad homimem attacks... ?
Oh really....Like you've never ever seen this happen before? :roll:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

One person's tragedy is another person's comedy.

It's the best if we put ourselves into the shoes of the one we adress and then decide if we would like to hear that with others witnessing it, or if we would be thankful not to be judged, shamed, lectured, and so forth.

Some things would then remain unsaid.

I'm not saying I'm perfect.
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

GIDGE wrote:
Aloka wrote:I was reading this and thought it might be relevant:
When you are suffering - 'Why am I suffering? Why am I miserable?' Because you are clinging to something! Find out what you are clinging to, to get to the source.

'I'm unhappy because nobody loves me.' That may be true, maybe nobody loves you, but the unhappiness comes from wanting people to love you. Even if they do love you, you will still have suffering if you think that other people are responsible for your happiness or your suffering.

Someone says, 'You are the greatest person in the world!' – and you jump for joy. Someone says, 'You are the most horrible person I've met in my life!' – and you get depressed. Let go of depression, let go of happiness. Keep the practice simple: live your life mindfully, morally, and have faith in letting go
from 'Letting Go' by Ajahn Sumedho
_/\_

http://www.vipassanadhura.com/lettinggo.html

:goodpost:
:console:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Some of the responses and name-calling in this thread illustrate why it's so difficult to participate here. Different people are treated differently. I have always tried to maintain a positive approach and show gratitude for others. Fede, the fact that you are a moderator on three other boards yet feel justified in creating messages such as appear here in this thread illustrates what is wrong with Buddhism discussion boards in general.

Anybody who seriously wants to understand what has been going on here can do some research on the phenomenon of scapegoating.
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Jechbi wrote:Some of the responses and name-calling in this thread illustrate why it's so difficult to participate here. Different people are treated differently. I have always tried to maintain a positive approach and show gratitude for others. Fede, the fact that you are a moderator on three other boards yet feel justified in creating messages such as appear here in this thread illustrates what is wrong with Buddhism discussion boards in general.

Anybody who seriously wants to understand what has been going on here can do some research on the phenomenon of scapegoating.
Probably the best thing for you, Jechbi, to do is to start your own forum and run it the way you see fit, setting the tone and all that goes with it. I'd highly recommend it.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

Jechbi wrote:Some of the responses and name-calling in this thread illustrate why it's so difficult to participate here. Different people are treated differently. I have always tried to maintain a positive approach and show gratitude for others. Fede, the fact that you are a moderator on three other boards yet feel justified in creating messages such as appear here in this thread illustrates what is wrong with Buddhism discussion boards in general.

Jechbi;

One of the things people who practice Buddhist meditation try to learn is how to let things go. There are people who have nothing to do with Buddhism and who have never meditated who have let bigger things go. I honestly don't mean any insult to you, but what does it say about your practice that you aren't letting go of this thread after all of this time?

It really doesn't matter. Let it go.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Thanks, Jhana. The same could be said of anyone who posts here. Does that mean any time we post in a thread in which we've faced disagreement, we're not "letting go"?

I understand that you don't mean to insult me. But you also are not able to see whether I'm letting go or not. These things rise and pass away constantly. Someone makes a comment here, I read it and maybe write a response, then I let it go. Then maybe I happen to check back again and there's another comment. Then I may respond to that one and let it go. It's not always lodged somewhere, sticking there.

On the other hand, "letting go" certainly does not mean just ignoring things and pretending they don't exist. Regardless of how you and others perceive my actions, I have been trying to make a positive impact here for anybody who wants to hear the Dhamma. I realize most people won't believe that, but that has been my intention. I'll "let go" of that intention when I'm ready to do so, thank you.
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

Jechbi wrote:Thanks, Jhana. The same could be said of anyone who posts here. Does that mean any time we post in a thread in which we've faced disagreement, we're not "letting go"?
Call me a hypocrite, but I think "yes".
On the other hand, "letting go" certainly does not mean just ignoring things and pretending they don't exist.
Dude, it really doesn't matter. If you don't believe me try telling someone in your real life about your situation here and watch their reactions. I did something similar about 5 years ago. It taught me that I was giving a lot of importance to something most people consider to be trivial ( a dispute on the internet ). I never won that dispute either. Effect on my life? Zero, except for losing a tiny bit of respect from the friend I told my internet troubles to.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.