A dāna section

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.

A dāna section

Postby Wizard in the Forest » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:34 am

Might I suggest and recommend that perhaps there be a section in Modern Theravada dedicated solely to dāna? This can include questions regarding the practice of dāna and the opportunity to offer things to the forum as dāna.
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir
Wizard in the Forest

Re: A dāna section

Postby Annapurna » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:51 am

I think a pinned thread would suffice.
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/
Annapurna

Postby Ben » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:19 am

Greetings WITF
To date, we've had: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2096

I'm happy for you to start a thread on an aspect of dana that interests you. I would be inclined to create a thread on the practice of dana in the dhammaduta sub-forum as dana is invariably tied to propagation of the Dhamma as well as personal practice. To date, we haven't had a groundswell of interest to warrant the creation of a new subforum just on dana. However, we will be happy to reconsider if there is both interest and activity to warrant the creation of a forum.
kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief

Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:38 am

Greetings,

Ben wrote:To date, we haven't had a groundswell of interest to warrant the creation of a new subforum just on dana. However, we will be happy to reconsider if there is both interest and activity to warrant the creation of a forum.

I think Ben's point is crucial to any good number of sub-forums we could potentially have.

What I think is also important to note is that there nothing preventing anyone discussing these things as it is. Many of the sub-forums created to date have been created because the kinds of discussion they're designed to facilitate are difficult to manage without the appropriate constraints and guidelines in place. For example, the Mahavihara section exists so that people can discuss commentaries without having to justify the commentaries. The Suttanta meditation section exists so that if people wish to practice meditation as the Buddha taught it, they don't have to battle over arguments rooted in commentarial reasoning to do so. Likewise, the Dhamma Free For All exists so that people can discuss heterodox interpretations of the Dhamma they believe without being reviled as heretics. That's just a couple of examples. It's hard to see how people couldn't discuss dana within any number of the current forums, should the desire to do so arise.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Return to Suggestion box