Relationships...according to Facebook

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Relationships...according to Facebook

Postby plwk » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:29 am

“I don’t want to friend you anymore,” said the girl in pigtails, crossing her arms, her face contorted with what I can only describe as disdain...

Once, a friend told me that being friends on Facebook means you are true friends and that if you are not friends with that person on Facebook, it translates that the person is not your friend. And having 1,000 friends on Facebook means you are popular.

More here
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Re: Relationships...according to Facebook

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:47 pm

plwk wrote:And having 1,000 friends on Facebook means you are popular.

or more than enough people want to lampoon you or simply dislike you enough to use your FB to get at you!
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Re: Relationships...according to Facebook

Postby Yana » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:23 am

Well I am grateful for Facebook,

In real life i am 1000x more reserved and private and less likely to open up to people.With Facebook i can cut through all the superficial chit chat and and cut straight through what is up and what is going on with my life. I mean i tend to get like that even in real life but Online Media just gives you more intimacy and a look at the inner world of your coworkers,bosses and old school friends that other wise would have just been akward.

For example my team leader seemed very cold and bossy and unapproachable but on her FB i realized she is very interested in helping pets and animals and that she gets all my quircky humour no matter how silly it sounds and i would have never guessed that about her if it wasn't because of FB.

:anjali:
Life is preparing for Death
Yana

Return to Lounge