thoughts on jesus

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Buckwheat

Re: thoughts on jesus

Post by Buckwheat »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
Mawkish1983 wrote:I don't care one way or another.
+1

Though I saw this recently, and it brought a wry smile...

Metta,
Retro. :)
Hahaha, yes!! I was reading a little bit of the Bible a few months back and totally had this realization that Jesus was a hippy. Obviously, I'm not the first person to notice. :tongue:
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Buckwheat wrote:Jesus was a hippy.
Matthew 21:12
"And Jesus entered the temple and drove out all who sold and bought in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the money-changers and the seats of those who sold pigeons."

The only occasion of Jesus using physical force in the Bible. The 99% shall inherit the earth?
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
GraemeR

thoughts on jesus

Post by GraemeR »

Blind Summit[img] wrote: For me Christianity only started to make sense once I studied Gnosticism. I firmly believe that the Christianity of the Church differs significantly from the Christianity of Christ.
Just my opinion... :)
I must admit I agree that the teaching of the established churches simply fog the teaching of Jesus for me. Gnostic teaching are interesting. Not all the Gnostic Gospels quite make sense to me either though :)
Graham
Chi

Post by Chi »

Dude, according to all the historical accounts, whether they are in the Bible or not, Jesus was a spiritual warrior.

His courage and ability to inspire were top-notch. Sure, he may not have been as liberated as the Buddha, but anybody who can say "sell all your things and follow me" and actually live the message he is preaching deserves respect, at the minimum.

Just my two cents.
Do Good, Avoid Evil, Purify the Mind.
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

And some of us might say that Buddha Dharma only made sense when we respectfully put the Suttas to one side and studied our minds instead once informed to some degree by the Suttas..

" Its not in ANY books, only the book of the heart , its all there, Dhamma.... Buddha " Luang Por Chah.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.