The obligatory Dhamma themed movie thread

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
yawares

Please Tell Me Your Favorite Movies/Movie Stars!!

Post by yawares »

:heart: Dear Members :heart:

I owned almost all DVD-movies of Harrison Ford/Richard Gere/Michael Douglas/Bruce Willis/Arnold 'Terminator'/Alec Baldwin/Paul Walker/Chris Evans/Ben Afleck.[/color]

Yesterday I watched a very good movie PAPARAZZI : Action film star Bo Laramie (Cole Hauser) seems to have it all: beautiful wife, adoring son and a Malibu beach house. But his newfound fame comes with a price? he's the target of paparazzi bent on making Bo and his loved ones fodder for the tabloids. Led by a photographer, Rex (Tom Sizemore), the paparazzi become increasingly relentless, until one night their ruthless actions turn Bo and his family into victims of a terrible accident. With the police unable to help, Bo seeks vengeance on his own? and the paparazzi start falling...one by one.[/color]

Old movies that I like very much: Roman Holiday/South Pacific/Ben Hur/Planet Of The Apes/Blue Hawaii/G.I.BLUES etc.

:heart: Please tell me your favorite movies/movie stars,
yawares
:heart:
Mr Man

Re: Please Tell Me Your Favorite Movies/Movie Stars!!

Post by Mr Man »

My favorite movies are all oldies -
1: Some like it hot
2: High Noon
3: Casablanca
Modus.Ponens

Re: Please Tell Me Your Favorite Movies/Movie Stars!!

Post by Modus.Ponens »

I like

1st- American Beauty
2nd- Fight Club
3rd- Inception

I also like Contact, Idioterne, Dead Poets Society, The Lord of the Rings, Cube, Spider, Solaris, The Devil's Advocate, 12 Monkeys, Inglorious Basterds, Amélie, Borat (the best comedy movie ever made), Bruno, V for Vendetta, Pulp Fiction, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, Snatch, American History X and Big Fish.

Movie stars: I like Jack Nicholson, Anthony Hopkins, Edward Norton, Brad Pitt, Natalie Portman, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Samuel L. Jackson, Gwyneth Paltrow, etc.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Hanzze

Re: The obligatory Dhamma themed movie thread

Post by Hanzze »

Anybody have seen this film? Looks somehow very tibetan.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31WEBwFpULg

"The Fourth Dimension," it's a collection of three films. The second one (Chronoeye) is the best out of three, and I think worth watching... you can skip to it (29:33). The guy wasn't happy even while looking through the eye of Jesus.
alan...

Post by alan... »

so are we ever going to get a good quality "life of buddha" film that is a regular movie (ie: not a documentary)?
lilawheel

Post by lilawheel »

The Big Lebowski is subject of a new book--it's more Mahayana. 'The Dude Abides'
alan...

Post by alan... »

don't know if anyone knows but there's a great cartoon buddha movie called "legend of buddha" out right now that is really great.
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

I recently watched the new film by Ron Fricke, Samsara, and it has its fair share of Dhamma. It has no narration, no dialogue, but plenty to say through its footage.

Baraka, by the same creator, is also highly recommended.
:candle: :buddha1: :candle:
alan...

Post by alan... »

Benjamin wrote:I recently watched the new film by Ron Fricke, Samsara, and it has its fair share of Dhamma. It has no narration, no dialogue, but plenty to say through its footage.

Baraka, by the same creator, is also highly recommended.
i've been interested in this movie but wary as from the trailer i don't see dhamma. can you specify what is dhamma in it?
Śūnyatā

Post by Śūnyatā »

alan... wrote:i've been interested in this movie but wary as from the trailer i don't see dhamma. can you specify what is dhamma in it?
"Whether a tree, a mountain or an animal (or the movie Samsara), it's all Dhamma, everything is Dhamma." — Ajahn Chah (with a slight remix by Sun). :)

A potent movie, in my humble opinion. Not as strong as Baraka... but powerful nonetheless. My personal favorite part was watching the Tibetan monks mindfully work on a sand mandala... and then wipe it all away.

With warmth :
Sun
[color=#0000FF]Live in joy, In love, Even among those who hate. Live in joy, In health, Even among the afflicted. Live in joy, In peace, Even among the troubled. Look within. Be still.[/color] — Dhammapada

[color=#0000FF]Being a human being is not an end in itself. It’s only a transition. It can never be a perfect state in itself. It’s merely a convention.[/color] — Luang Por Sumedho

[color=#0000FF]Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.[/color] — Euripides
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

Hi,

The Guan Yin dancers in the trailer are deaf themselves. They've been doing tours of that from China, for a long while (though I think the dancers change). Many people seem to really like it, but I've seen some people say that they think it's creepy. Why? Beats me... seems like it's the nature of Samsara. People view things in different ways.

To me, this dance seems to nearly transcend the samsara itself, becoming nirvana. For something like that to be possible, there has to be a freedom from greed (for the conditions that are desired), aversion (to the conditions which is undesired), and possibly delusion (trying to exist apart from the conditions). Of course, that is just my view... conditioned by a regular practice within the Triple Jewels.

Is that Dhammic enough for you, Alan? :tongue:

:anjali:
alan...

Post by alan... »

Śūnyatā wrote:
alan... wrote:i've been interested in this movie but wary as from the trailer i don't see dhamma. can you specify what is dhamma in it?
"Whether a tree, a mountain or an animal (or the movie Samsara), it's all Dhamma, everything is Dhamma." — Ajahn Chah (with a slight remix by Sun). :)

A potent movie, in my humble opinion. Not as strong as Baraka... but powerful nonetheless. My personal favorite part was watching the Tibetan monks mindfully work on a sand mandala... and then wipe it all away.

With warmth :
Sun
ah. i see, the trailer i saw had a couple of dhamma related things but mainly showed random things from other traditions or just human experience. so it seemed to be just a movie about life without any specific focus on a particular spiritual tradition. is it leaning toward buddhism or is it just a broad movie about life?
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

alan... wrote: It seemed to be just a movie about life without any specific focus on a particular spiritual tradition. is it leaning toward buddhism or is it just a broad movie about life?
It is a broad movie about life, not just Buddhism, but life and the dhamma are of course inseparably linked. This movie by no means makes it hard to find either (lots of contrasts between cultures and ideals to be seen and analyzed).
:candle: :buddha1: :candle:
alan...

Post by alan... »

Benjamin wrote:
alan... wrote: It seemed to be just a movie about life without any specific focus on a particular spiritual tradition. is it leaning toward buddhism or is it just a broad movie about life?
It is a broad movie about life, not just Buddhism, but life and the dhamma are of course inseparably linked. This movie by no means makes it hard to find either (lots of contrasts between cultures and ideals to be seen and analyzed).
oh okay cool that's enough for me. thanks.