What is he doing with all that money?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
alan

What is he doing with all that money?

Post by alan »

Was wondering if anyone has a thought about this. Maybe there is an innocent explanation?http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16085787
Khalil Bodhi

Re: What is he doing with all that money?

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Hi Alan,

I frankly don't know enough to give an educated opinion. Certainly if he were a bhikkhu there would be no question that there was at a least a breach of sila but I'm not even sure that lamas are anything more than dedicated lay people. Perhaps you'd be better to ask at our sister Mahayana site. Mettaya!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Khalil Bodhi wrote:Hi Alan,

I frankly don't know enough to give an educated opinion. Certainly if he were a bhikkhu there would be no question that there was at a least a breach of sila but I'm not even sure that lamas are anything more than dedicated lay people. Perhaps you'd be better to ask at our sister Mahayana site. Mettaya!
The Karmapa is a monk of the Mula-Sarvastivadin lineage.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
alan

Post by alan »

I put it up here because it goes to a point I made on another thread about rules. Often small rules are exaggerated to the point of folly, while the spirit of the law is broken.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:I put it up here because it goes to a point I made on another thread about rules. Often small rules are exaggerated to the point of folly, while the spirit of the law is broken.
Not following you here. There is a rule about monks not handling money. The bhikkhus here can elaborate on this as having money in one's possession and/or control. If this money is being used for the running of the various monasteries under the Karmapa's control, that is one thing. If it is being used to personal matters that is a another.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

What spirit of the law is broken here?

Collecting donations from followers? I don't know anything about this lama (apart from the fact that there are two Karmapas and a controversy as to which is the right one) but there have not even been charges laid, so what is the purpose of this thread?
_/|\_
alan

Post by alan »

They need 1.4 million dollars to buy robes?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:They need 1.4 million dollars to buy robes?
Feed the monks, up keep on the buildings and utilities. The Karmapa is the head of the Kagyud school, which fairly large, so I am sure 1.4 million could be easily spent. But honestly, I don't know. Ask this question on Dharma Wheel; you'll get a more informed answer there.

alan

Post by alan »

Rules about touching women, rules about touching food. Rules about when to sleep, etc. Rules, rules, rules.
Oh...We have 1.4 Million dollars! No rules broken there!
Monks with millions of dollars?
Makes me sick. And it pisses me off. Why should I put my trust in people like this?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:Rules about touching women, rules about touching food. Rules about when to sleep, etc. Rules, rules, rules.
Makes me sick. And it pisses me off. Why should I put my trust in people like this?
It is simple, don't.

Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

alan wrote:Rules about touching women, rules about touching food. Rules about when to sleep, etc. Rules, rules, rules.
My impression is that you are jumping to a lot of conclusions here, Alan.

First is that the money was not found under his bed and he said in the article (did you read it?) that he is not involved in the financial administration at all.

Second is that there have always been corrupt monks in all traditions and if it is found that the Karmapa is corrupt, then he will be exposed.

Until then, we should probably refrain from proliferating speculation and passing judgment when we have not got the relevant facts.
_/|\_
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

In Theravada temples throughout the world HUGE amounts of money are collected every day. Look at the tourists and locals going to Wat Arun in Bangkok for example. There is an entry fee and then there are huge amounts of money donated inside as well. Some money may be used for upkeep - but where does it all go?? I have often wondered.

Another cash cow is the temple of the tooth in Sri Lanka. HUGE amounts of money flow into this temple.

Even in the little temples in Thailand there are large amounts of money donated. Much of it gets stolen by the temple lay people and some monks. My local temple had about 300,000B ($10,000 AUD) stolen by a Bhikkhu who did a runner. The rest of the money is used to build expensive buildings and buy cars for the abbot - he has a brand new 4WD and one of the light fittings in the Bot hall cost about 3,000,000 Baht - more than a thai family could earn in a life time.

Bankei

ps the Karmapa may have to flee back to Tibet!!!!
-----------------------
Bankei
David2

Post by David2 »

For a leader, 1.4 million dollars are not much money (as long as it is not used for personal matters).
Compare it to the tens of trillions of dollars debt Europe and the USA have accumulated... that is much money.
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

The Karmapa is the head of one of the principal Tibetan schools. It is expected that rich devotees, many of them from Hong kong, China, Singapore and Taiwan will just donate large sums to his monastery. What is he doing with all that money? He probably hasn't got that pinned down yet, - that's why its accumulating at the monastery. Either they don't trust the Indian banking system much or they just got tired of hauling the bags of cash all the way to the bank. :tongue:
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

alan wrote:I put it up here because it goes to a point I made on another thread about rules. Often small rules are exaggerated to the point of folly, while the spirit of the law is broken.
:goodpost:
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.