Our Fallen Friends

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Buckwheat

Our Fallen Friends

Post by Buckwheat »

"10 Recently Extinct Animals" - http://listverse.com/2009/07/25/10-rece ... t-animals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:(
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
bodom

Re: Our Fallen Friends

Post by bodom »

Very, very sad.

:candle:

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
chownah

Post by chownah »

Yes, sad indeed.....let's go down to McDonalds and have a hamburger and talk about how sad it is.....let's eat some of that yummy stuff brought to us by large scale industrialized agrobusiness.......got to clear the Brazilian rain forest to raise more hamburger you know and if you want to make an omlette you've got to break some eggs.....sad indeed but oh well it's not like the rain forest is completely gone....there is still a little bit way over there.....really all we need is a small patch of rain forest so that school children can take a bus ride and walk around in it for the afternoon and having any more rainforest than we need is a waste of valuable natural resources......

Yes, sad indeed....let's go buy some vegetables raised in huge mono culture fields where nothing is allowed to live except the crop......all for us and nothing for those disgusting vermin who might bite us or even make us sick!!! What? Raise some food organically? First I don't have the time as I'm too busy feeling sad about the disappearance of ten kinds of animals and second I don't like the smell of pooh and third its much easier to just grab a burger and fries!!!

Sad indeed.

chownah
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

chownah wrote:Yes, sad indeed.....
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

Chownah,
I did not intend to agitate you.
Metta, :anjali:
Scott
chownah

Post by chownah »

Buckwheat wrote:Chownah,
I did not intend to agitate you.
Metta, :anjali:
Scott
Buckwheat,
Don't worry....I wasn't agitated...I was just doing my best to help people see things as they really are!!.....the way it really is is that large scale agro business is one of the major reasons of why species go instinct and even moderate scale commercial farming as generally practices today is just as bad only on a smaller scale. About the only thing that saddens me is that people are so deluded about the way things are that they don't see this or they don't care....that is sad....but don't even worry about me moping about all sad in the face....after posting I just went out and spread some organic fertilizer, plowed it in, and moistened the soil in preperation of planting in a couple of days...I'll plant a legume crop which will enrich the soil and make some premium feed for our five cows whose manure will be used as fertilizer for rice, corn, fruits, and vegies.....no chemicals needed anywhere in the entire process!!!....no shipping of produce around the world!!!....no support for any corporations anywhere except for the small amount of diesel fuel I use (a nine horse power walk behind tractor goes a long way on a litre of diesel)....
chownah
Kare

Post by Kare »

For a moment I thought this was another thread about our Mahayana friends ....

:toilet:
Mettāya,
Kåre
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

It sounds like you're going the extra mile to do your part. That is great. :clap:
chownah wrote:...large scale agro business is one of the major reasons of why species go instinct...
The article in the OP cites agriculture as the direct cause of several of those extinctions. Your point is both valid and significant.
chownah wrote:... people are so deluded about the way things are that they don't see this or they don't care...
There is a third category: some people do care, but lack the skills and resources to do what you are doing. How long have you had this lifestyle?
chownah wrote:...small amount of diesel fuel...
Have you considered biodiesel? I used to make it for a college project, but I'm not sure the practicality for your farm. Also, it does still have the inputs of veggie oil, methanol, and lye, with the byproduct of glycerin.

The poor government is missing out on a lot of tax revenue due to your hard work. :tongue: