What music are you listening to right now?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
daverupa
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Re: What music are you listening to right now?

Postby daverupa » Wed May 21, 2014 2:01 am

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

SDC
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Postby SDC » Wed May 21, 2014 4:12 am

Gertrude Pridgett, also know as "Ma Rainey"

SDC

Postby SDC » Wed May 21, 2014 4:44 am

daverupa wrote:

That was awesome. I need to stop fussing and find a way to approach electronic music. There is soooooo much good stuff to choose from.

Mkoll
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Postby Mkoll » Wed May 21, 2014 8:19 am

SDC wrote:
daverupa wrote:

That was awesome. I need to stop fussing and find a way to approach electronic music. There is soooooo much good stuff to choose from.

Yeah, it's pretty overwhelming, even for seasoned veterans. There are so many genres, styles, artists, and just a massive quantity of music. I think there are styles for every particular taste in the world of electronic music. The hard, but fun, part is finding the ones that suit you.

Here's a cool and calming classic from 1976!

Peace,
James

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Wed May 21, 2014 10:36 am

SDC wrote:That was awesome. I need to stop fussing and find a way to approach electronic music. There is soooooo much good stuff to choose from.

<ahem>

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11033&start=700#p279637

:heart:
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

SDC

Postby SDC » Wed May 21, 2014 3:07 pm

Mkoll wrote:Yeah, it's pretty overwhelming, even for seasoned veterans. There are so many genres, styles, artists, and just a massive quantity of music. I think there are styles for every particular taste in the world of electronic music. The hard, but fun, part is finding the ones that suit you.

Here's a cool and calming classic from 1976!

Thanks, Mkoll. That was great. Overwhelming is the perfect word. And - correct me if I'm wrong - but it doesn't seem to share the same cohesiveness of many other forms of music (which is fine). Perhaps this has to do with its more technical, experimental origins in the early 19th century by engineers and technicians in studios and labs, as opposed to a genre using traditional instruments in public performance - I don't know. It seems equally at home no matter where it is happening in the world. And that makes it extremely hard to track and follow, unlike jazz for instance which can be fairly easily tracked from the streets of New Orleans to now. For me, I like to do a scary amount of research into the music I listen to (purely for the joy of it) and I think electronic may require the discovery of many different roots instead of just one. So I guess I just have to pick and artist, dive in and when the trail runs dry pick another.

daverupa wrote:
SDC wrote:That was awesome. I need to stop fussing and find a way to approach electronic music. There is soooooo much good stuff to choose from.

<ahem>

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11033&start=700#p279637

Thank you, Dave. That's a start!

Mkoll

Postby Mkoll » Wed May 21, 2014 6:23 pm

SDC wrote:And - correct me if I'm wrong - but it doesn't seem to share the same cohesiveness of many other forms of music (which is fine). Perhaps this has to do with its more technical, experimental origins in the early 19th century by engineers and technicians in studios and labs, as opposed to a genre using traditional instruments in public performance - I don't know. It seems equally at home no matter where it is happening in the world. And that makes it extremely hard to track and follow, unlike jazz for instance which can be fairly easily tracked from the streets of New Orleans to now.

I completely agree. Today, a single person with just a computer and software can make and record music that would have been impossible for an individual to do 50 years ago.
Peace,
James

Mkoll

Postby Mkoll » Wed May 21, 2014 6:27 pm

daverupa wrote:

<ahem>

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 00#p279637

Digitally Imported! Nice to see they're still going strong. They've really expanded their selection, I see.

:woohoo:
Peace,
James

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Sat May 24, 2014 3:40 pm

streaming http://www.di.fm/chillout ~

(My mother considers all this "water torture with elevator music", but she used to sing for the Utah Opera.)

Crazy cloud

Postby Crazy cloud » Tue May 27, 2014 8:51 am

uplifting :candle:

your name Mori means forest like the infinite fresh green distances of your blindness

imagemarie

Postby imagemarie » Tue May 27, 2014 9:25 pm

:anjali:

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:12 pm

Page 38 is a nice-sounding page...

:twothumbsup:

Ron-The-Elder

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:57 am

Don't usually listen to music unless watching "America's Got Talent". Great operatic duo, two women, who were amazing. I will tune in next week just to hear what opera they select next. Do play music. Like Jazz of all kinds.
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

Kasina

Postby Kasina » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:16 am

"This world completely lacks essence;
It trembles in all directions.
I longed to find myself a place
Unscathed — but I could not see it."

Sn 4.15 PTS: Sn 935-951 "Attadanda Sutta: Arming Oneself"

"You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go... This is the curse at work, the curse that feeds on all life..."

Wilbur Mercer in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Ron-The-Elder

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:04 am

Kasina! Nice rendition of Blue Skies!!!! :clap:

Thanks. :goodpost:
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

Denisa

Postby Denisa » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:00 pm

Sleeping Child by MLTR. Lyrics are pretty lovely and meaningful.

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:58 pm

Something a little more groovy...

Denisa

Postby Denisa » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:49 pm

daverupa wrote:Something a little more groovy...

Very funny. How about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLexgOxsZu0&feature=kp

It's about NON-DOING :tongue:

Mkoll

Postby Mkoll » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:08 pm

Peace,
James

Return to “Lounge”