Samsaric Films

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
dhamma_newb

Samsaric Films

Post by dhamma_newb »

After reading Ben and tiltbillings posts about "La Grande Bouffe" being a film with "Samsara as you've never seen it before," I wonder what are some of your favorite films that portray Samsara at it's worst? I like "Requiem for a Dream" directed by Darren Aronofsky.
The watched mind brings happiness.
Dhp 36

I am larger and better than I thought. I did not know I held so much goodness.
Walt Whitman
daverupa

Re: Samsaric Films

Post by daverupa »

• "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
bodom

Post by bodom »

I wonder what are some of your favorite films that portray Samsara at it's worst?

The Nightly News...

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

I recently watched 5 seasons of the UK version of "Skins". (Never leave me unsupervised for an entire weekend.) The premise of the show is following a group of teenagers who believe that sex, violence, and drug abuse are normal teenage behaviors. They all suffer horrible consequences as a result of this misguided belief. I'm not usually a big fan of serial-dramas, but I was compulsively drawn into this one...
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Ben

Post by Ben »

dhamma_newb wrote:After reading Ben and tiltbillings posts about "La Grande Bouffe" being a film with "Samsara as you've never seen it before," I wonder what are some of your favorite films that portray Samsara at it's worst? I like "Requiem for a Dream" directed by Darren Aronofsky.
I should warn prospective viewers that La Grande Bouffe contains graphic depictions of sexual intercourse. It is not suitable for family viewing of for those who may be offended by such material.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Not only that, Ben, but if I recall correctly, sexual intercourse of middle-aged people, which I definitely found offensive when I watched it (being 18-19)! :)
_/|\_
Ben

Post by Ben »

Dan74 wrote:Not only that, Ben, but if I recall correctly, sexual intercourse of middle-aged people, which I definitely found offensive when I watched it (being 18-19)! :)
Indeed, Dan, Indeed.

Jokes aside, the movie is very confronting - and not just because of the sexual content. And if you suffer from anorexia or bulemia then you should definitely NOT see the movie.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Dan74 wrote:Not only that, Ben, but if I recall correctly, sexual intercourse of middle-aged people, which I definitely found offensive when I watched it (being 18-19)! :)
Judging from how you look in your avatar, I am sure you are over that now.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

tiltbillings wrote:
Ha! I am, but that's Jorge Luis Borges, an Argentinian writer, whom you may know by name if not by face. He went blind in his old age hence the "funny" eyes. He was perhaps one of the rare right-wing intellectuals who seem to have become all but extinct now at least in public life.

PS I figured since you are probably not Jeff Goldblum, I am allowed not to be Jorge Borges...
_/|\_
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
films that portray Samsara at it's worst?
Once Were Warriors. (not a 'favourite' as such, just a good example)

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Dan74 wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
Ha! I am, but that's Jorge Luis Borges, an Argentinian writer, whom you may know by name if not by face. He went blind in his old age hence the "funny" eyes. He was perhaps one of the rare right-wing intellectuals who seem to have become all but extinct now at least in public life.

PS I figured since you are probably not Jeff Goldblum, I am allowed not to be Jorge Borges...
I am not even tiltbillings.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Fede

Post by Fede »

tiltbillings wrote:.....I am not even tiltbillings.
....Mother....?

Are you following me.....? :jawdrop:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Fede wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:.....I am not even tiltbillings.
....Mother....?

Are you following me.....? :jawdrop:
Shocking, isn't it?

Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

:D
_/|\_
Noah

Post by Noah »

The Wall! haha that is a good example. In truth, all films are a good example if they do not at least point at liberation through love, kindness or non-attachment. It might be easier to come up with a list of films that point toward Nirvana or the Dhamma as truth :P No doubt, such a movie will have to show Samsara in stunning detail. I might suggest "What Dreams May Come" whatdoya think? :)
Evil is caused by and is the cause of future suffering, abandon at all costs! Cultivate virtuous qualities and live the happy life! Just as all wise human endeavors, from Physics to Philosophy, approach the Dhamma; be fearless in your reverence for it- The time for the True Law is yet to dawn in the west!! :D