World Chess Championship 2012

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

World Chess Championship 2012

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon May 14, 2012 3:44 pm

Not totally Dhamma related, but I know there are some others out there who are also interested in chess.

The World Chess Championship is going right now in Moscow, Russia between defending champion Viswanathan Anand of India and Boris Gelfand of Israel. The prize fund is 2.55 million US Dollars.

There have been several past champions and grandmasters of Jewish ethnicity, but this is the first time an Israeli citizen has competed in a World Championship match. Gelfand is originally from Belarus and immigrated to Israel in 1998.

Anand is the first World Chess Champion from India in modern times.

After 3 games, they are currently even at three draws. The match is 12 games.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Ches ... nship_2012
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Re: World Chess Championship 2012

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon May 14, 2012 9:27 pm

Forgot to mention in my post above: today is the 64th anniversary of the [modern] state of Israel (May 14, 1948). Gelfand did not pull off a victory for his country on this Independence Day.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Modus.Ponens » Mon May 14, 2012 11:05 pm

I'm rooting for Mother India.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue May 15, 2012 4:13 am

Modus.Ponens wrote:I'm rooting for Mother India.

Me too. :)

I might be Jewish by tribe but my Buddhist religion trumps ethnicity in this case. And the game originated in India just like Buddhism, so was very happy when Anand first won the title and every time he defended it.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Yana » Tue May 15, 2012 5:41 am

wooooo I Love Chess!!!!My father taught me how to play it when i was young and we use to play it every night.Now that i've moved away i stopped playing a bit but i want to get back into the habit!!grrr!..hehe :tongue:

May the Best Man win!!!
Life is preparing for Death
Yana

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue May 15, 2012 2:58 pm

Here is the official website of the Championship match:

http://moscow2012.fide.com/en/

It has links to all the games where you can play through each game and see each move and board position.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed May 16, 2012 3:12 am

http://moscow2012.fide.com/en/

Click on 'Fourth Game' if you have the time and interest. Gelfand and Anand arrive about 4 minutes early for the game. Both must wait the four minutes before making their first moves. Gelfand (Israel) is seen fidgeting around, very restless, perhaps nervous. He is looking around, takes a drink of water, scratches his face and ear. Anand (India) on the other hand looks calm and collected; he appears to even be meditating as he stares at the chess board (no move has been made).

Exciting times for me. :ugeek: This is when some of the best chess ever is played. But as my wife says, "sorry if I don't enjoy this 'excitement' with you". :tongue:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed May 16, 2012 10:26 pm

FIDE president (International Chess Federation) meets with Dalai Lama and other senior Tibetan officials and monks.

http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... hinov.html

And he plays chess with one of the officials:

http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... shala.html

Excellent news about Dalai Lama winning the Templeton Award and using the funds for charity, mostly to help children in India. The World Compassion Champion :) as Bhante noted here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12441
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu May 17, 2012 4:50 pm

Game 5:

About 1 hour, 35 minutes
27 moves

Anand playing white

Result: Draw

Match so far:

5 games, 5 draws

2.5 to 2.5

I thought Anand might have pulled off a win with this one a few moves back, but I guess Gelfand would have been too tough in the end game that Anand knew it wouldn't happen.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri May 18, 2012 4:13 pm

Game 6:

29 moves
Another draw

6 games so far (half-way through the match) and 6 draws.
3-3

Boris Gelfand is exhausted. And who says chess is not a sport. :tongue:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Modus.Ponens » Fri May 18, 2012 6:47 pm

If that's the picture of the end, how is it a draw?
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri May 18, 2012 8:38 pm

Modus.Ponens wrote:If that's the picture of the end, how is it a draw?

:D

It wasn't at the end and suspect just from exhaustion, but possibly frustration too. Gelfand was playing white and at this level of play white has a very slight advantage (moving first), so this is one of the few chances to pull off a win and he couldn't do it.

It's interesting to see the body language. If you watch a whole game you will see both of them getting up to walk around in what appears to be an almost walking meditation during the game (several times).
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Kim OHara » Sat May 19, 2012 7:45 am

David N. Snyder wrote:Who says chess is not a sport. :tongue:

All the TV news programmers who have totally ignored this match in favour of local and international football, tennis, motorcycle racing, ... etc.
:juggling:

Kim
Kim OHara

Postby David2 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:58 am

Kim O'Hara wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote:Who says chess is not a sport. :tongue:

All the TV news programmers who have totally ignored this match in favour of local and international football, tennis, motorcycle racing, ... etc.
:juggling:

Kim

I would claim that chess is too complicated (too much to think) to be watched by the majority of people.

The majority of people prefers easy-to-watch-no-thinking stuff (I am not saying that this is a good thing).
David2

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat May 19, 2012 3:47 pm

Good points, Kim, David.

I am always amazed at how the championships of chess rarely makes the news or if it does, it is on the back-burner. It seems people are interested in the no-thinking contests and the more violent contests of rugby, American football, boxing, etc.

Such physical contests while admirable are not what makes humans great. A simple house cat could probably out-run the fastest sprinter. An ant can lift about 5 to 7 times his body weight where a human can barely lift one to three times their weight and three times only at the Olympic level.

Chess is art, science, sport; requiring creative strategies, mathematical-scientific skills and knowledge of potential combinations and probabilities of outcome, and good physical shape to keep the mind alert and attentive. But people prefer the mindless contests some of which can be just as "boring" for example soccer (football), baseball, etc. (in my opinion). :tongue:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat May 19, 2012 8:00 pm

A rest day today in the competition, so in the meantime see this beautiful photo of Anand and his wife.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby reflection » Sat May 19, 2012 8:10 pm

Thanks for putting this on here. I love it! I like chess, and I think it is quite cool to see live. Too bad there are only draws so far. Is it still the case that the current world champion needs only 12 points to hold the title while the challenger needs 12,5?

:namaste:
reflection

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat May 19, 2012 8:22 pm

Here are the match conditions and procedure for tie-breaks:

The match format is the best of 12 games. Players scored one point for a win and half a point for a draw. The match will end once either player scored a minimum of 6½ points. Time control is 120 minutes, with 60 minutes added after move 40, 15 minutes added after move 60, and 30 additional seconds per move starting from move 61.

In case of a tie at the end of 12 games, there will be a series of tie breaks.

1. Colors will be drawn and four rapid games will be played. The time control for these games will be 25 minutes plus 10 seconds per move.
2. If the score is tied after the four rapid tie break games, colors will be drawn and two blitz games (5 minutes plus 10 seconds increment per move) will be played. If the score is tied after two blitz games, another two-game blitz match will be played, under the same terms. The process will repeat, if necessary, until five blitz matches have been played.
3. If the score is tied after ten blitz games, a single sudden-death "Armageddon game" will determine the champion. The winner of a draw of lots gets to choose the colour to play, with white given 5 minutes and Black 4 minutes. Beginning with move 61, a three-second increment will be added following each move. If the game is drawn then the player of the Black pieces is declared champion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Ches ... conditions

I am hoping Anand will win. But in the event it does go to the tie-breaks it should be pretty interesting and exciting to see them play the faster games.

reflection, you are correct, in the past there were no tie-breaks. They started the tie-break system around the late 1990s.

The tie-break system sort of reminds me of the penalty kicks in soccer (football) when there is a tie at the end of regulation / full time. The tie-break system does not provide the best chess just as the penalty kicks does not provide the full soccer skills, but it gives some closure with a decisive outcome for the fans.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun May 20, 2012 2:58 pm

Breaking News!

Game 7
Gelfand defeats Anand 1-0

3 hours 57 minutes
38 moves

Both players had only a couple of minutes or less on their time clocks.

It is very possible this could be the only 'win' in the match (the first 6 games were draws) which would mean Gelfand would win and become the new World Chess Champion. But perhaps Anand will play a little more aggressively in the remaining games and at least even it back up.

Score through 7 games:
4-3 Gelfand leading so far
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun May 20, 2012 4:41 pm

final position after Gelfand's move 38. Nxe6
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Next

Return to Lounge